Sign in to follow this  
Hexxenhammer

Starship Troopers?

I never really got into SST -- was into GW stuff. What happened to Mongoose and the SST game line?

And defiance looks fairly interesting...

M.

Dead as vaudville.

Sorry for the bitter. The office is hot and I'm babysitting a server install.

Well, what killed it? IIRC it started out with plastic mini kits and THEN switched to PPM, though I could be wrong there.

M.

Well, what killed it? IIRC it started out with plastic mini kits and THEN switched to PPM, though I could be wrong there.

M.

Disclaimer: I bought heavily into this right from the start due to it's huge potential. I have attempted to remove any personal bile from this list, and tried to present the general reaction of the community at the time.

A Brief History of Starship Troopers from Mongoose Publishing.

GenCon 2004-ish The Game is First officially announced, with a March 2005 Release date.

March 2005 Mongoose Announces the game will be late, coming in mid-April.

April 2005The Game releases to much fanfare and a great price for the Starter Box. The included rules have stats for at least three types of aircraft which the community is told will be out by the end of the summer. The Bugs look great, the Mobile Infantry not so much. As an added bonus, the Mobile Infantry are a collossal level of asspain to assemble

Spring/Summer 2005 The First Metal models for the MI are released, and they are as the British would say, dire. All of The Bug releases are delayed because of problems with Plastic production, including the Hoppers, Tanker Bug (awesome looking, but terrible to assemble) and Plasma Bug (which is great all around when it finally releases). Aircraft are said to be delayed until the Holidays. Plastic Light Mobile Infantry (think SST: The Movie) are announced, and the test models look great. The only two Metal Kits for the Arachnids at the time, The Brain Bug and firefries are, released. Assembly of the Brain Bug is akin to superglueing an egg back together. The firefires are plagued by a 1.5 cm hole in the center of the model where the legs are supposed to fit.

It just gets worse from there. The Plastic models for the Light MI are CANCELLED and replaced by nice, but entirely static, metal versions. To this day the aircraft are still MIA. The only well-received releases for the Mobile infantry are the female CAP troopers released in 2005 and the Grizzly and Coougar exosuits from 2006 (mostly because they're the Book-style power suits everyone has been waiting for, and look amazing, for once). The entire line of Skinnies released in 2006 was poorly thought out. There was little consistency of style in the line, and the core plastic unit lacked any sort of detail. When mongoose announced in August of 2006 that they'd be replacing the game with a prepainted and scaled-down version, They initially intended to keep supporting the unpainted line of models, but last month had a clearance sale on their remaining stock.

In essence, the game was from the beginning a chain of missed release dates, poorly designed models, and broken promises by the company. The Exosuits last year performed a bit of CPR, but the skinnies went right back to the way things were. I'm frankly amazed Sony is letting them try again with the prepaints, especially with the rumors of yet another SST movie in the works.

Most fans credit the final blow as being the freeze on all new releases after SST: Evo was announced. However, part of the reason for Evo was fan complaints about several of the model sculpts. Many models are getting resculpted for the prepaints including most of the Skinnie line.

Mongoose does still support the orignal plastics, however, but it appears at the moment that they meant they would still be supported in Evo. All old units from the original SST are being carried over into Evo. I've been a (a possibly only on this board) Mongoose supporter since SST came out, but they break that promise and I'll drop the game like it's a bomb over Osama's house.

My honest opinion is to wait for SST Evo to be released and see how it fares. In the meantime Battlefield: Evolution has taken off quite well and uses essentially the same game mechanics.

I was excited about the prepainted AFVs - because I hate painting large scale vehicles..

but I am somewhat dissapointed with what I've seen thus far - plus the "realistic" scale of their figures doesn't mix well with the exaggerated scale of other modern lines.

Saw the minis in person today

Pros: They really seem to be heavy, durable plastic.

Cons: Everything else. They're really small, the paint is sloppy, some of the infantry could pass as tabletop quality, but the tanks are appaling. I saw an Abrams with a big black fingerprint on it, any of the non-decal markings were atrocious, and there are maybe two colors apart from the base plastic on each.

Not remotely worth the price they're asking.

Sadly, I've seen a broad spectrum of quality in the minis. Some look great and others look like a seven year old painted them. MP is allegedly working on correcting some of the quality control issues. One thing they have done is gone to decals all vehicle symbols to remove the inconsistency. The biggest consistent flaw I've seen with the minis thus far are the eyes. Very few of them look good at all.

As enjoyable as driving a tank thru buildings is, high explosives planted at certain points can create a wide variety of high satifying explosions (or implosions, as the case may be).

Besides, SST didn't have tanks. You want to bring a building down that badly, nuke it.

Yup, they just use pretty much the same rules engine.

Battlefield: Evolution is near-future. Right now we have factions for the Middle Eastern Alliance, USMC, EETF, and the PLA.

Starship Troopers: Evolution is just that, Starship Troopers, complete with nukes and giant bugs.

Yup, they just use pretty much the same rules engine.

Battlefield: Evolution is near-future. Right now we have factions for the Middle Eastern Alliance, USMC, EETF, and the PLA.

Starship Troopers: Evolution is just that, Starship Troopers, complete with nukes and giant bugs.

Do you ever play batt:evo at Games Plus, and if you do , when? It sounds interesting.

I'm at Games Plus pretty often, but I haven't yet gotten started with BF: Evo. I'm actually thinking about joining the Mongoose demo team, but I'll probably wait until they get their editions printed up (both SST and A Call to Arms are revising).

I'll be sure to spread the word around when I do get up and running, though.

I'm at Games Plus pretty often, but I haven't yet gotten started with BF: Evo. I'm actually thinking about joining the Mongoose demo team, but I'll probably wait until they get their editions printed up (both SST and A Call to Arms are revising).

I'll be sure to spread the word around when I do get up and running, though.

When you do drop me a note, or if you see me at GP just tell me.

See, I don't understand why so many people complain about the plastic SST figures. I built ALL the plastic figures (INCLUDING bugs!) in a long afternoon...and had enough time for a playtest afterwards (I used MEK and had a bit of a headache afterwards though...). Sure, they didn't fall together, but they weren't hard at all, IMHO...

Damon.

See, I don't understand why so many people complain about the plastic SST figures. I built ALL the plastic figures (INCLUDING bugs!) in a long afternoon...and had enough time for a playtest afterwards (I used MEK and had a bit of a headache afterwards though...). Sure, they didn't fall together, but they weren't hard at all, IMHO...

Damon.

Agreed. The biggest complaint I heard were about the Tanker, Brain, and plastic MI. The Tanker and Brain were rightly deserved, but the plastic MI were no more difficult than plastic Space Marines. And there were more than enough pewter sets for MI to ensure that if you didn't want to, you didn't have to purchase plastic.

The Arachnid Warriors are some of the toughest plastics I've come across. You could use these things as darts if you use the right material.

I think we may already have met. Were you there when Frosch (Froggy) and I were playing Full Thrust?

I think we may already have met. Were you there when Frosch (Froggy) and I were playing Full Thrust?

It is highly possible, I am better with faces then names. Look at my pic, just try and picture me without the ears :rolleyes: I also have a couple of tats on my neck, that makes me stand out a bit there.

While we're on the subject of battlefield EVO (even if we're really not) I have more complaining to do.

How come my guys can shoot around corners? I've played 3 games now and am continually frustrated by the firing zones. As long as a mini is in the firing zone, a bullet can do three loopy-d-loops to get to him. Also, the ground scale is crazy. The people are 1/48th scale, the vehicles 1/72nd (which is ok, it happens in lots of games) and the weapons are 1/1000th. It's almost possible for a USMC or EU squad to deploy outside of their squad mate's weapon range. If 1 inch is approximately 5 ft, then assault rifle bullets suddenly stop 150 ft out. That's half a football field. And any sort of area effect weapon totally owns the battlefield. My little squad of PLA guys with 2 LAWs killed over twice their weight in points last game. And they only lost 3 guys. And then there's the Arabs. They have to stay grouped up in these tight little wads of guys. In reality they seem to be doing most of their fighting in small hit and run groups, not 12 man target fests. It isn't possible for them to shoot an RPG off of a roof and then run, the mob is too worried about cohesion. While I like the figures, and might even buy some (it turns out I can just sell my liver to earn the cash instead of getting into the slave trade) the rules are definitely going in the trash (all two pages of them). Maybe my little group can use the face of battle rules of or a modified version of Operation Overlord.

Since when do all little adobe haji huts have basements in them? I sure hope someone in an Abrams doesn't have to worry about driving over a little mud hut with a couple of bad guys in it. I'm not saying that the tanks should face no penalty, but it should be possible.