Sign in to follow this  
Hexxenhammer

Starship Troopers?

While we're on the subject of battlefield EVO (even if we're really not) I have more complaining to do.

How come my guys can shoot around corners? I've played 3 games now and am continually frustrated by the firing zones. As long as a mini is in the firing zone, a bullet can do three loopy-d-loops to get to him.

Check the rules (I had to several times for different things.)

...you can only attack models completely or partially within this Fire Zone that are also within Line of Sight.

You only get to attack with models that meet both these conditions.

Hm BF: Evo sounds like a table top version of Battlefield 2. Not sure I'm up for something that near future, though. The Urban War rules are currently being read and seem interesting enough alright. Are they revamping the figs for SST: Evo or are they sticking with the PPM or the old plastic kits? I'm avoiding PPM's like the plague if I can help it.

M.

BF: Evo minis are prepaints.

As far as I know, there are no plans to release them unpainted.

Of course, it's not like there's a shortage of modern/near-modern soldier models for just about every nationality.

Yeah, but exploding houses in fire and shrapnel is cooler in my mind. That and who wants to have somebody's ugly drapes caught up in their road wheels?

I've got citizenship already thank you very much. And no I would not like to know more, especially If I have to join the army to learn it. I'd rather finish my edumacation and not spend a year or two in baghdad. My Pa just got back, and it doesn't sound like a very fun place. My sincere thanks goes out to all our military men and women, but your job is not for me.

Here's why I would drive my tank through a building in an EVO situation. Lets say I fire a round at another tank. I hit it, it fails it's armor save, but it gets to ignore it because that's how EVO works. Now I probably want some cover from that other tank, because it could kill me now. I can have cover on three sides by driving into a building. So that's what I do.

Buildings = Pill Boxes for tanks (or cool destructable terrain).

Has mongoose said how much the SST Prepaints will cost?

They were supposed to be the same as BF: Evo sets, but it's looking like they may not be the case. It's starting to look like they're going to do what Reaper just did for Warlord, more minis in the set but at a higher cost. I believe 12 Warriors is going to run $40 (as opposed to 6 for $25).

Here's why I would drive my tank through a building in an EVO situation. Lets say I fire a round at another tank. I hit it, it fails it's armor save, but it gets to ignore it because that's how EVO works. Now I probably want some cover from that other tank, because it could kill me now. I can have cover on three sides by driving into a building. So that's what I do.

Buildings = Pill Boxes for tanks (or cool destructable terrain).

Well, if the game maintains any semblance of realism, the enemy tank will switch on his thermals, and pump a round through the wall.

Failing that, just call for artillery and strip away your cover.

Or send an infantry team armed with light anti-tank weapons to take you out (since by using the building as a pill box, you eliminate one of the chief advantages of armor -- mobility -- and strip away your visibility...

Damon.

The plan for BF:E hasn't worked out so well here. No rulebook, only two units for three factions, and one faction left with a single unit. There's demand, but with such a lag between releases, and nothing else to play with people have already moved on.

It sounds attractive to release without a rulebook, and forego army books, but unless the production-distribution pipeline is primed well in advance, players are left hanging.

This is why I'm not optomistic about SST:Evo.

Truth be told, I was never optimistic about SST:Evo.

I've just seen mongoose screw too much stuff up. The only game they can do miniature releases for with any regularity is B5:ACAT, and that's mostly because someone else did all the design work for them.

Well, I think the problem with Mongoose is that they have some sort of game designer ADD. They have some nice ideas, but they don't stick with them, or get distracted by the next bright shiney thing and ignore the other lines. I think if they had set up some sort of consistency, they'd do much better as a business model...

Damon.