Sign in to follow this  
Hexxenhammer

Starship Troopers?

From everything I've heard they play pretty well for what's out. I fully plan on getting involved once Mongoose gets SST: Evo and ACTA 2nd ed out, probably as a demo team member.

You wouldn't be the first person to use proxys, though.

Good to know. I'm sort of torn between a "modern" game, "near future sci-fi", "realistic sci fi" or "fantasy" as the next game I'll pick up. If the rules are good I'll proxy in some TAG figs for BF:Evo and find some fantasy skirmish game to look into.

M.

I've tried out the BF:Evo rules, sort of. The basic mechanics are the same as SST, and they have published the quick-play rules for BF:Evo that shows the changes they have made to the system. I've tried them with my SST minis, and there's not a lot of difference. I generally play a 1000 point game in two hours or less with these armies:

Arachnid Army

Warriorsx10

Warriorsx10

Warriorsx5 (w/Carrion Bugs)

Tiger Warriorsx5

Firefriesx5

Hooper Bugsx3

+Tunnnel Assets

MI Army

MI LT w/toys

MI NCO w/toys

Squad A (Sgt, Flamer, Trip Thud, 5 Rifleman)

Squad B (Sgt, Flamer, Msl Lnchr, 5 Rifleman)

I'm ready to go to tournament Level (2000 points) with the MI Army with other minis I have (CHAS, two MI squads). The bugs is another story. Damn things are so cheap compared to MI, that you really do need "hordes" of them :lol: I've got about 1500 points of them, but really need a Brain Bug. The best thing, I'll be albe to use these minis within the SST:Evo system.

I'll be getting some BF:Evo minis Soon, some USMC and MEA infantry. My buddies and I have already been talking a PLA invasion of California and MEA infiltrating through Mexico as game scenarios.

True, every game company has delays, problems, and occasionaly do things that buyers don't like.

With mongoose it's especially frustrating though, because the games are usually good enough to get you in, and then it's a perfect storm of bad things:

Many lousy miniatures, horrible casting on the good miniatures, little manufacturer support, bad attitude, poor fan environment, mediocre-at-best background materials, dumb decisions, and unmet promises, and in SST's case, the skinnies. Period.

What happened with the Skinnys? I saw like ONE screenshot of them just before they came out, didn't look too much like the ones discribed in the book, though it wasn't a very good picture anyways.

M.

Ah I had never seen the TV series. The first movie was abismal (good for lots of gore...insulting to the book) and the second SST movie simply DOES NOT EXIST LALALALALALALALALALAAAAAAAAA...so I avoided any other incarnation with it's name.

M.

Ah I had never seen the TV series. The first movie was abismal (good for lots of gore...insulting to the book) and the second SST movie simply DOES NOT EXIST LALALALALALALALALALAAAAAAAAA...so I avoided any other incarnation with it's name.

M.

You should be glad to hear that they're making a third one then :poke:

I loved the first movie. Paul V admits he didn't finish the book because it was so dull. (I also like the book)

I liked the second movie as well - it was just kinda fun and a neat premise.

I like the animated series.

M.

You should be glad to hear that they're making a third one then :poke:

*goes completely gray from the shock*

Great. Now I have to go and see that...

M.

Now you can play Dune ;)

Actually, Tremors with cowboys. I'm adding tentacles as we speak!

Glee!

Oh - even better!

grab an artizan Swiddgen!