Starship Troopers?

Hexxenhammer

• Replies 729
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

To my shock, the paint on the second wave of BF:E minis are a vast improvement on the first.

You must not read from the book, Nanite. Horror and doom will befall you.

No worries there, the with so many good minis and games out there, why buy mongoose. I'm kinda ashamed at myself for looking for SST clearances: I was doing some spring cleaning this weekend and hit upon my unpainted SST minis, the skinnies are enough to drive me to drink.

I had heard the first ones weren't as bad as rumor mill put out.

They were; an M1 with a huge black fingerprint is my favorite example.

The prodigal thread returns. And has a haircut.

Still need to paint my burrowers...

And Marauders...

and bugs...

I didn't know you bought anything but burrowers.

I've got less to finish here then I thought, mostly skinnies, and some converted MI support weapon guys. Oh and I tossed the assasin bug in the dip, it's a nice model, and I painted it really really badly.

Oh and Tankerlon, I have to finish Tankerlon!

I've got a couple of k's worth of Cap Troopers as well as a smallish Marauder Platoon. Unfortunately Mongoose's price point is way too high, especially for a British company. Plus the bugs suck like a sucky thing in a bucket of suck... hence why I can't find anyone to play against :o(

Guess my MI are doomed to langusih under the stairs for ever more :o)

I've got a couple of k's worth of Cap Troopers as well as a smallish Marauder Platoon. Unfortunately Mongoose's price point is way too high, especially for a British company. Plus the bugs suck like a sucky thing in a bucket of suck... hence why I can't find anyone to play against :o(

Really? Most people like the Warriors more than most of the other models. To each their own, I suppose.

As for the price point, well...yeah, I'll have to agree there. They're a bit steep, that's why I got most of my SST minis over eBay.

It just really sucks that it's been mishandled like this, it's really a great game.

Or do you mean they suck to play? I think MI could womp them at just about every point level.

Movie style MI were good, although pretty big.

Also defensible: Drew William's female troopers, and they're scaled better if you want to use them in other lines.

See, I loved all of the plastic bugs,

Even the tanker? I'll like mine when I finish it, and I wouldn't be happy with it if not for loads of converting.

Did you buy any ripplers, were they any good?

See, having played SST and B5:CTA myself and a couple of my friends have come to the conclusion that Mongoose can't points balance a game if their lives depended on it. The Cap Troopers could kick seven shades of snot outta of any bug army which doesn't use tunneling, at which point the MI hardly stand a chance unless you put them on terrain which can't be tunnelled thorugh.

The Warriors look pretty good, but like everything of Mongoose' it takes months to file off the flash and it takes a lot of work to paint them up to look half way decent. A couple of my friends are professional painters, and they struggle. Speaking of flash, when my friend painted up 3 boxed sets of CTA models (EA fleet box and reinforcements box and Mimbari fleet box) he broke 2 files, three drill bits and had over a kilo of flash left (genuinely a kilo... he's a big bloke and it was easily over two handfuls). We were tempted to take it to the Mongoose stand at Salute and ask for models in lieu of the flash.

In general, the SST range has been badly managed (though much better than some I could name), and is a sucky game to boot. Hence why I can't find an opponent :o(

Movie style MI were good, although pretty big.

Also defensible: Drew William's female troopers, and their scaled better if you want to use them in other lines.

See, I loved all of the plastic bugs,

Even the tanker? I'll like mine when I finish it, and I wouldn't be happy with it if not for loads of converting.

Did you buy any ripplers, were they any good?

Even the tanker. All I did was greenstuff over the leg and foot joints and make them appear to be flexible portions of carapace and he looked fine.

I didn't get any ripplers, as they came out shortly after the announced 'New Direction'...