Starship Troopers?

Hexxenhammer

If the points-balance sucks, stat them into Defiance from MJ12games.com. It won't do some specific stuff, but it's the ultimate product of a maths-geek power-gaming obsessive over-analyser spending six years making a game he couldn't break within ten minutes of reading it.

There is totally no reason to forgo models you like just 'cause the rules suck. There's heaps of rules-sets out there and some of them are even good ;)

• Replies 729
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Defiance reads pretty dry but plays pretty fast. It also needs a pretty big table. Once you get small areas and close terrain, Ork fast vehicles with flamers become utterly godlike *flashbacks, cold sweat*.

I am not paid by MJ12 in any way... and I have to add my vote for Defiance. It is a fascinating game, and is now my 28mm SciFi set of choice. The rules take more than one reading to get straight, but they also have all kinds of hooks that get you thinking, like more than just pointing a gun and pulling a trigger, you have different ways of firing.

Defiance is the game that most rewards thoughtful play and design.

you mean like holding the trigger in place and pushing the gun forward?

I was joking with the stocks thing. I've only heard good things about the game, the 50 pages of basic rules are a bit much for me though. Will check it out eventually though.

Edited by vejlin

There's a lot of clarification, defining of terms, and extensive examples in that 50 pages. What it amounts to in play, is if you want to move your troops forwards, fire from within the cover verge, and then move back for better cover bonuses, you can do so simply and within the rules. If you want the whole squad to just send as much lead downrange as possible, you can do that too.

And the Line of Sight/ Cover rules are absolutely the cat's whiskers, in my opinion.

50 pages is to much? LOL, I eat 50 pages of rules for breakfast! As an old hardcore wargamer I cut my teeth on such monstrousities as SPI's War in the Pacific and The Atlantic Wall, then followed those up with Star Fleet Battles (really my first edition copy came in a very samll ziplock bag 5"x7" maybe) and Squad Leader and then Advanced Squad Leader. I laugh at your 50 pages of rules ::D:::D:::D:::P:

Yeah I used to feel that way too, but I don't have alot of time on my hands. 5 minutes of uninterupted reading is alot in my world lately, so 50 pages is a bit much for me.

P.S: I'm a Advanced Squad Lead vet myself.

Edited by vejlin

le sigh :rolleyes:

My dissatisfaction with the tabletop game industry in general is at an all-time high, but it's stuff like that that has me walking away from $300 worth of stuff in my cart at the warstore, even for games I do like. 'Soon + 45' days is the worst release date ever...