New to painting and looking for ideas

Lord Soth

Hello, I am new to painting miniatures, at least as an adult. I used to paint when I was a kid with testors oil paints. I can see things have evolved alot since then. I started off with reapers Learn to Paint Kit number one after doing much research. I am just finishing the soldier now and am very happy with the results. I even strayed from the directions a bit and added different colors and highlights where I wanted them. I've already put about 6 hours in.

Anyway, I am looking to paint a reaper Owl Bear #02690 and #02766 : Arrius the Black, Undead Warrior next. I have been doing alot of reading so I am pretty good with the basics of painting. I know I still have a ton to learn, especially after seeing alot of your guys work. Does anyone have any pictures of either of the miniatures above painted? Just looking for ideas. Or if anyone has any ideas of their own they would like to share about painting the above I would appreciate it. Thanks.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome to the boards.

Wow, we even allow fallen Knights of the Rose here :poke:

If you're looking for specific minis, there is a pinned topic in the Show Off Forum started by Kellyn where folks have catalogued the minis they have posted here. That might be a good place to start. I can't recall any specific examples of either off hand, but then again I forget what I had for lunch 30 minutes ago. I'd forget I had lunch, but my stomach is still a little full.

The search feature is another great one.

Type in Owlbear and/or the model number, go back as many days as you want, I usually go back all the way and then pare back if I am overloaded. Keeping the forum searched to Craft->Show off will also help cut back on unneccessary posts popping up in the search.

Also, don't feel nervous or embarassed about posting your work in Show-Off. If you;re looking to improve and want constructive comments, this is a great place to do it. You won't find people making snide or rude comments about your work. There are a ton of great painters here willing to help out if you're willing to post. It's a great reseource and way to get feedback so you can improve.

Welcome back to the hobby/craft/artform.

Added: Linkage to pinned Index topic.

Edited by Qwyksilver

Hello, I am new to painting miniatures, at least as an adult. I used to paint when I was a kid with testors oil paints.

Sounds suspiciously familiar - I started painting minis with Testor's enamels myself, while in High School to use for playing D&D. Eventually I started moving away from enamels to craft acrylics because I could use water for cleanup, and the wider range of colors.

I recently dug some of my old minis out, and y'know, some of them aren't too bad. With a little washing and/or highlighting, and a shot of dullcote, they'd look even better. And there's 3 or 4 that I'll be leaving shiny.

A lot of it is just practice. The old minis of mine that I'm not emberassed at now are the later ones I did, to the best of my memory. And don't be afraid to strip a mini and start over. I think that was one of my big breakthroughs (although I don't claim to be anywhere near the best here! :lol: ) Every so often the colors or something are just *wrong*, and starting over is the way to go.

• Reaper User

Hello and welcome!

Nope, I don't think we have examples of either of those models in our online Painted Gallery (yes, I know you all want a Gallery update, but I just got a dragon tossed at my head, so it may be a while!! ::P: ). You can follow the link to the gallery in my sig line if you haven't gone there already. ::): Otherwise, feel free to ask questions during the course of your painting, and we all will be glad to chime in with our two cents, I'm sure! Oh, and if you're in or near Texas, come to Reaper HQ on a Saturday, I hold a Paint Club/Seminar between 12-4 most weekends. :;):

--Anne

welcome to the boards lord soth!! as a new mini painter myself i have found alot of people here that have helped me improve. Anne's paint clinic/club was invalueable!! (thanks again anne). for your owl bear i painted that mini myself not to long ago and was as stumped as you are. what i did was look at some D&D monster manual first then i looked at a bunch of owl's & bears online. sorry dont remember what sites i used. as a suggestion look @ the pics and print some of them off then just use the two that you think look the best together!. mine is a brown bear and horned owl for color combos.

hope that helps you some!!

I appeciate the warm welcome. Yea, I actually have a store near me that has just gone direct with reaper. Only about 20 minutes away. Lucky me! I think I am gonna have to swing by there on a Sunday because I believe people regularly paint there. Thanks again.

Mike