Reaper RPGs

Akela

When Reaper creates tabletop "pen and paper" Roleplaying Games (as opposed to a pure miniatures wargame) you would like to see Reaper...  

79 members have voted

1. 1. When Reaper creates tabletop "pen and paper" Roleplaying Games (as opposed to a pure miniatures wargame) you would like to see Reaper...

• use the OGL System (like Dungeons and Dragons and other d20 products except modified as needed)
    • use the d20 License (like Dungeons and Dragons with few modifications)
    • use a homegrown system primarily based on RAGE
    • use a homegrown system designed for Roleplaying primarily and similarities to RAGE secondary
    • use GURPS
    • not make a "pen and paper" roleplaying game and focus on miniatures based wargames

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow three responses and all three are different. I will admit I voted for OGL rather than the d20 only because it allows for mor variation. I believe using d20 would allow for the largest group of people that would be willing purchase it and help keep the learning curve fast for experienced d20 players.

I personally wouldn't mind seeing something R.A.G.E based and would buy it I just don't know how many people that would entice or deter.

Either way I'm up for playing it. ::D:

Warmachine Translates easily because privateer has published encylopedic volumes linking the two (warmachine and the iron kingdoms RPG setting).

Me, I say that people have been using your miniatures to Play D&D for years. Why disappoint your fans by forcing them to switch systems if they want to play in the worlds your miniatures are meant to populate.

I voted d20 because that's what will sell IMO. Personally, I'd like to see a combo book (like the upcoming Tristat/d20 combo version for MArtin's World). Of course, that would cost more to make, which translates into more cost to the consumer...

:blink:

I've had more than my fill of d20. Role Master is tops. AEG's Roll and Keep is next. Mutants and Masterminds has a decent d20 variant and it's OGL via their M&M Hyperlink. Something RAGE-based would likely be good, but if oyu want to move books, you may have to go d20 (as in "Big Mac of games") to sell books.

I say go with the OGL/D20 (isn't that the same thing?) Mostly because most of the hard work is already done. All Reaper would have to do is publish fluff material and maybe just a few mechanics to work with their universe.

Although I got to admit I'd be interested in a RAGE based roleplaying system. Especially if it was based on skills increasing due to actually use instead of just killing monsters, much like the old Stormbringer RPG from Chasium (sp?). At any rate it would have to be simple, easily customizable, and focused on Role playing and not Roll playing <_<

OGL/d20 aren't quite the same. D20 stuff contains no "rules". You need the PHB and DMG for those. A Reaper D20 book would have any new character classes, races, new spells, prestige classes, monsters, etc, but wouldn't have character creation or combat rules for example.

An OGL Reaper book could tweak the rules however they wanted and include all the rules for everything. It would be "mostly" D&D, but wouldn't have that nice d20 system logo on it and for someone not "in the know" would need to say something like "compatible with the most popular fantasy roleplaying game," on the back cover.

Walking down the two rows of solid RPG racks at my FLGS it seems to me that to be successful at this point with an OGL/D20 you need a theme that people recognize and want. Another fantasy setting from an unknown publisher (yes, sorry, Reaper is going to be an unknown publsher in the RPG realm at this point) is going to be a tough sell. It would be much easier to get a straight D20 campaign setting out there that people can just drop into.

Oh God please not another game going to d20! =(

Yes d20 is a powerhouse....yes its good for what it does.....

But Im so tired of seeing eveything come out for the d20/OGl stuff.

I would love to see more systems, Im a system junkie I guess. I like seeing what neat rules people come up with for their own system.

And frankly I would rather see reaper do an rpg that would be an extension to RAGE.

Make the wargame and the rpg play off of each other.

Anyways just my 2 farthings.

Oh God please not another game going to d20! =(

Yes d20 is a powerhouse....yes its good for what it does.....

But Im so tired of seeing eveything come out for the d20/OGl stuff.

I would love to see more systems, Im a system junkie I guess. I like seeing what neat rules people come up with for their own system.

And frankly I would rather see reaper do an rpg that would be an extension to RAGE.

Make the wargame and the rpg play off of each other.

Anyways just my 2 farthings.

I Totally Agree TankerJ

I voted for a Rage-based system... It'd be nice for all the the Reaper rules to have enough in common to ease transition between games when dragging new players in.

Plus I dislike WOTC's rules a lot, in fact I'd actually say I hate them... Their rules are clunky, and do a lousy job of being inobtrusive to the gaming experience. Personally I won't touch an RPG based on OGL or d20.