Comic Book Movies

Wanizame

Orchid:

Superman :

Can't imagine anyone having not seen at least the first one.......stop there! For the love of your brain, stop at number one.

Are you kidding? Superman 2 is the only one I can still sit down and watch, it is so much better than any of the others.

Errex:

Spiderman 1&2: Excellent movies, both. My only fear is that eventually they'll spred the license too thin, but so far, these must be the most enjoyable flicks based on mainstream comic book characters.

One would hope with the vast amounts of resource material they have they could make Spiderman 20 without spreading it too thin; but I agree, they're really have to watch it and pick and choose their storylines well. If they do that the franchise could live for some time. (God knows I don't want to see crappy villians like 'Pain Pot Pete', nor do I want to see lame "Cosmic Power Spidey' storylines).

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Orchid:
Superman :

Can't imagine anyone having not seen at least the first one.......stop there! For the love of your brain, stop at number one.

Are you kidding? Superman 2 is the only one I can still sit down and watch, it is so much better than any of the others.

Well, it has been a long time since I watched them ALL, but if that's the one with "Zod" (which is what Garm said), then I stick by that warning. :lol::lol:

Chronicles of Riddick movies: Surprisingly good, IMO. Pitch Black is pretty much just another Sci Fi Creature Movie, quite decent but that's it. The second one really adds a lot of background to Riddick's Universe, and certainly it would have been nice to see a follow up to the series...

Well ACTUALLY, "Escape from Butcher Bay" is the computer game prequel and I hear it is VERY good in all respects; even the adapted-to-PC-from-console version had a lot of PC gamers writing rave reviews, and console-to-PC is usually 1) a disaster and 2) an immediate object of suspicion and/or scorn from PC gamers regardless of its quality.

There's an animated movie too. I haven't seen it unfortunately.

I rented Pitch Black & Chronicles about a few months ago.. Liked'em both.

The Animated film was aired on MTV2 it was ok, it just sorta ties in what happens between films. It has an Aeon Flux / Reign look to it, I think Peter Chung did the artwork for it.

I was gonna get X-Men 1&2 but they were check out, And I was gonna get Nausicaa but it was checked out.

So I got:

Spider-Man 2

Second Hand Lions (Thought my dad might like it, he did actually)

The Tuxedo (cause I like Jackie Chan Movies)

Van Helsing (Cause I like these kinds too)

and I wanted to get something anime but there wasnt much of a selection so I got a martial arts one instead, Princess Blade.

I only had to pay for 2, the other 3 I got for free ^_^

Has anyone seen the newer Punisher movie?

The newer punisher movie was, in my opinion, absolutely horrible. As far as movies with John Travolta rank, this one is right on par with the terrible Swordfish (which itself is only surpassed by Battle Field Earth on the Travolta scale of badness).

Just my opinion, but this movie isn't even worth watching, let alone buying.

That being said, I know one or two people who have said good things about it. I just can't see why.

The problems I found with the Punisher movie were:

a) Way too violent, too fast. The murder of Frank Castle's wife and kid is way too brutal and sadistic, IMHO. The rest of the movie kinda never reaches such a peak again.

b) Thomas Jane is kinda miscast as the Punisher. I kinda envision the character more alike Splinter Cell's Sam Fisher. Older, tougher, more focused on dealing punishment unto the scum of the earth.

c) As far as retelling go, I kinda prefered the other version with Dolph Lundgren, which starts with the Punisher already being the Punisher, instead of the 20 min exposition of the new film.

b) Thomas Jane is kinda miscast as the Punisher. I kinda envision the character more alike Splinter Cell's Sam Fisher. Older, tougher, more focused on dealing punishment unto the scum of the earth.

God he looks alot like Christopher Lambert, and all I could think through alot of the movie was "There can only be one...way this movie ends, and it's going to be nothing but cheesy, disappointing, and predictable". And those three neighbours! God, did we really need to see them? I suppose they were meant to teach us that the world isn't that bad of a place, and that there are plenty of good people in it. Or perhaps we are supposed to sympathize with them and see them a heroes, as they are the worst possible stereotype society has of the 'comic book geeks' and 'technonerds' the movie was probably geared towards. I tell you, 28 million doesn't get you much of an action fliuck these days; in the little commentary thingy the director talks about how much the budget was and how important it was to stay inside of it...and he clearly did at the expense of good writing, and good acting.

Given that the latest Punisher movie was based pretty faithfully on the Garth Ennis run, I liked it. *shrug* Given such a dark character to work with, it's gotta be difficult to give him any kind of redeeming qualities. Ennis' writing usually resorts to extremely black humor, which I guess I like. The only person I really felt was miscast in this movie was Rebecca Romijn, since Joan is supposed to be a very mousy little brunette, not a supermodel. <_<

Lundgren looked more the part of Castle, though. :)

And you folks have completely forgotten one of the best comic book related movies of all time (IMO), The Rocketeer.

Ok, you can't possibly have found the ending to this movie anything but totaly cheesy, and not in a good way.

The Travolta Death was extremely lame to the Max. And the Fight with the big Eastern European stripey shirt guy, give me a break, terrible terrible terrible!

Anyway, that's the last of my Punisher Rant, suffice to say this was THE WORST movie I've seen in some years.

I wasn't going to answer this one, but then I thought, "What the heck, one more opinion can't hurt."

Spider Man 2: Pretty good, loved Alfred Molina as Dr. Octopus, though I thought he should have done the accent. Favorite scene is Spider Man stopping the train.

Hulk: Big disappointment. The CG Hulk is done really well, and I liked the comic book panel thing. All the actors seemed to be on heavy doses of Thorazine, though. This movie had so much potential because of its subject. I always thought The Incredible Hulk was a very well-done book, at least the ones I read were, but the movie didn't strike the right balance between Banner's "I have a monster living inside of me" and "Hulk Smash!!!!!".

Elektra: Haven't seen it.

DD: I liked it. Could they have done better than Ben Affleck? Probably (Stan Lee says he did a perfect job, by the way). Are the fight scenes sub-par? Yes. Is Collin Ferrel over-the-top as Bullseye? Yes, but then, Bullseye always seemed a little over-the-top to me. At lest they got rid of the old blind mentor crap. That backstory always bothered me. I give it a C+.

X-Men & X2: X-Men United: Very well done. Continuity's a little off, but acceptable. My only problem is that my favorite (Collossus) only makes a brief appearance. I hope he's in X3.

There's my opinion on your original query, Wanizame. Now, I feel I have to defend the latest Punisher movie. I thought it was pretty faithful to some of Ennis' stuff, which is all I have read of the comic. (The three neighbors were taken straight out of the comics, by the way.) I thought Thomas Jane was well cast (even if he is a little short), and did a bang-up job portraying a man on a suicide mission. There could have been a better choice in villian, as Travolta comes off as a charicature. I did think it took too long with the backstory. The main reason I like this movie is the stunts and special effects were all done in the old style. No CG. Thomas Jane did 99.5% of his stunts, including the fight with the Russian. I do agree with Lars, in that to make this movie totally fathful to Ennis' Punisher, it probably would have been rated NC-17 for violence.

I will support your statements on the Punisher. I liked it. Daredevil wasn't bad. And the Spidey Films have been all right by me. They changed some of the Spiderman "legend" but as a film re-invention I accept it. Both films were fun but since I haven't watched either more than twice I can't talk about repeat viewing. Punisher I only saw in theaters and the X-men I have no desire to re-watch.