The calm

Qwyksilver

I love right before a thunderstorm hits, and you can feel the pressure change in the air, and the wind starts to pick up a little and you can just feel the imminent crash coming...

Keeping my fingers crossed for that big boom...And not doing ANY detail work tonight ::D:

Temperature has dropped from 90 to lower 70's in the past 2 hours, supposed to go as low as 40/50's tonight. Should make for some great T-Boomers!!!

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I love thunderstorms, yeah.  Before I die (though not a cause thereof), I want to see lightning hit fairly close.

Before, but not immediately before, huh?

On a field exercise, I saw a lightning strike across a clearing. Looked around at all of us holding weapons and covered in metal bits, looked up, then continued on. Things don't seem as dramatic, I supose, when you've been moving for almost two days. I still chuckle at my temporary indifference every time I see lightning.

I love thunderstorms, yeah. Before I die (though not a cause thereof), I want to see lightning hit fairly close.

I was camping during a thunderstorm in the Appalachians (Western NC). Many of the strikes were so close that there was no noticeable timing difference between seeing the lightning and hearing the thunder (and it was clear as day to see the lighting thru the walls of canvas tent at 2 in the morning).

That was close enough for me (I think at least one of the strikes was within 50 yards of my tent - the thunder was deafening - good thing I was pretty well liquored up on bourbon at the time)

One summer back when I was in college the family camped at a cottage on Fourth Lake up in the Adirondacks not far from Old Forge NY. We had heard there were thunderstorms moving our way and it was evening. Up there you could hear the thunder from far off as it seemed to reverberate off the hills and mountains. When that storm hit we were all very glad to be inside the cottage. The wind gusted up to 60MPH, and the lightning was just horrible. (I could read by it if that was any indication.) The thunder was so loud my ears rang for days afterward. We lost power too, though it was restored by morning.

The storm and the few that passed through behind it didn't die down till well after midnight that night. When we awoke the next morning it was amazing what we saw. Walking out onto the dock and looking around all along the shoreline there were trees that were laying in the water, uprooted by the wind and waves. The campground area around the cottage was littered with limbs of various sizes, some large enough to really do damage. Thankfully none of the larger ones hit the cottage or anything of value.

Having grown up in the midwest till the age of eight, I developed a healthy respect for Thunderstorms. Thunderstorms there usually meant at least a Tornado watch would be in effect, with the random tornado sighting issuing a tornado warning. I learned to watch the skies at a young age. I still do even though I live in a lower risk area for tornados now.

My childhood home was struck twice by lightning. I was too young to remember the first strike. I thought the second one was absolutely freaking cool, until I realized it had blown out the TV :grr:

I love thunder/lightning storms. I'll just sit and watch it out my balcony window.

I love thunderstorms, yeah.  Before I die (though not a cause thereof), I want to see lightning hit fairly close.

One night when I was like 12 or 13 my mom and I were sitting on the porch swing watching a thunderstorm when a bolt of lightning swept in under the porch, completely through and out the other side.

Neither of us had a mark on us when it was all over, which is pretty amazing considering the swing was suspsended from the ceiling by heavy-gauge metal chains. Our ears were ringing to the point of having to shout for almost an hour afterwards in order to hear one another.

A few years later, A bolt struck in our back yard and transferred enough energy to blacken an area of grass about five feet in diameter.

Yeah, thunderstorms are very cool, but you learn a a healthy respect for them when your house is the highest one on the hill.

A few years back we had a huge storm that showed up right as me and my brother were leaving tae kwon do. On the way out of the parking lot, a transformer box blew up right behind us. Then, we get home. One of the neighbors trees had been hit, and fell into the street pulling down the power lines. The sparks melted a hole in the road.

And then there was last summer. I was in NM, at Philmont scout ranch (basically the ultimate hiking experience). We were going up the second highest mountain there (somewhere in the area of 9-10 thousand ft.) and we were hit by a huge hail/lightning storm. It was hailing hard enough that it looked like it snowed, and the lightning was so bad we had to stop hiking for half an hour.