Matte! matte as the day is long!

lstormhammer

Alright, Kats and Kittens:

I'm looking for a matte finish for my models. I've noticed I'm getting better at this whole painting thing, and I know people are going to want to touch my miniature(s).

So your homework assignment is this: I need a brand of matte finisher that is really, really matte. Not 'Says matte and is really semi-gloss', not 'glossy as a freshly waxed car', I want matte and I want it now.

I want something that will withstand constant moving in and out of foam containers, handling from RPG movements, and the like. I want something that I can hit with canned air, and not a bit will move.

Can you do that for me?

PM or reply to this, either way, I'll be watching.

--thanks!

--lstormhammer

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I used Armory Matte Sealer for years, but as with primer, the local shop only sells the smelly GW stuff, and for some reason, the law of hte land does not permit pressurized gases to be sent through the mail.

Also, I've been told in the past that matte does not protect as well as gloss does, but if you spray a light coat of gloss, you can then spray the mini again with a matte sealer to "hide" the shine.  I've never actually tried this, since the matte seems to be protecting well enough (I don't use my mini's like G.I. Joes or Pokemon action figures mind you...)

GW matte tends to come out slightly shiny IMO.  And besides which, it stinks something terrible...

More correctly, Morg: Aresol cans can't travel via air mail (which means anything farther than two days or so). Basically because it's under pressure, and when you fly, the pressure drops, and there's a chance it will explode...

Now imagine a case of spray popcorning like that...

The reason I know this is that I used to work in a mail room, and all sorts of fun and games I learned there.

Anyways: I am looking for a spray-type primer, that would be easiest for me, and I really need as flat matte as it can get. :)

--lstormhammer

I have always used Testors Dullcote to good effect.

Lately I have been using a final coat of Future then one or two cotes of Dullcote on top.  I saw this as a tip somewhere (dont rember where).  The Future protects the paintjob while the Dullcote makes things nice and matte.  If the Dullcote ever wears through due to handling then the Future shows nice and shiney so that you can respray with Dullcote before the paint rubs off.

So far this has worked well, but my minis dont usually get alot of handling.