Basing 101

:0)

Here's a quick guide to doing a simple rank and file base.

Step1.jpg

Base, cover with sand (I used GW), and a rock if you prefer. I think it adds a lot to a base.

Step2.jpg

"Paint it black!"

Step3.jpg

I first drybrushed all the black sand with VMC Flat Brown, and I drybrushed the rock with RPS Stone Gray.

Step4.jpg

I next mixed some VMC Buff into the RPS Stone Gray, and drybrushed it liberally over the rock. I also added yellow to the VMC Flat Brown, then added VMC Buff to that mix and drybrushed that.

Step5.jpg

Add a pinch of static grass, and viola! Never again will bases be "2 hard!1!!!~". ::D:

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats my prefered method to base :)

When I glue static grass, I just use plain old white glue.

I'm also addicted to the GW sand, as I haven't found a decent enough mixture of sand to larger pieces, although I want to start experimenting again with playground sand and talus (since ballast is too uniform in size and shape for my taste)

There is a german company (Busch) that makes the same static grass that GW uses, however, with that great mixture of green and brown to give a nice natural look - vs using static grass of just one color.

The other thing is that once the sand is glued on, before one primers it (or after, it doesn't matter that much) If you use a really thinned down mixture of glue and water (so it's really milky/watery - or you can cheat and buy the Woodland Scenics terrain cement in a bottle), it really locks things in place so it doesn't crumble as easily.

Very nice base. The mix of dirt, rocks and grass looks great. The rock looks real, because it is. Color choice is good as well.

My only concern with using large rock on a base is how do you attach the mini? You can really pin the mini to the base. If you glue it, it's easier to break off. Also, you'd be gluing the mini to the paint and sealer on the rock, not the rock itself.

I've never tried this, but I've heard some people use those large wood/mulch chips for rocks. You should be able to cut and shape them rather easily. I'd think that would be a better surface to pin a mini to.

2. with the rock taking up so much of the base how do you plan on adding a mini to it?

Well, I don't, really. It was just a good rock to use for a tutorial.

Yes, it's a 25x50 miller' base.

The other thing is that once the sand is glued on, before one primers it (or after, it doesn't matter that much)  If you use a really thinned down mixture of glue and water (so it's really milky/watery - or you can cheat and buy the Woodland Scenics terrain cement in a bottle), it really locks things in place so it doesn't crumble as easily.

I just use wood glue unthinned wood glue *EDIT* for the sand. ::P:

For static grass, yes, I do use thinned Elmer's Glue-All.