Turanil, Elven Paladin (in progress)

Smithore

This is my first attempt at painting a miniature in a couple of years, and my first attempt at layering. I'm a novice painter, so all of my miniatures previous have been single colors with a little wash or drybrush.

I started layering on the cloak because the surface was so large. I'm proud of how my first attempt is turning out, though the blue ribbon hanging down looks terrible from the back picture. I need to redo it.

The goal for the color scheme is going to be lots of white, silver and bronze, with the red cloak and few other accent colors. However, I'm at a loss as to what I'm going to do with the shoulder guards or the thing hanging down from his belt, behind the blue ribbon. Any suggestions on color schemes would be helpful.

- Jeff

post-4-1114573815.gif

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

looks like youve got a great start going on there. only suggestion is that you use a lighter color for the skin tones. i noticed that you asked about reapercon and the asylum in another thread. the asylum is a great place to go. Anne helped me sooo much. when i went i felt really out of place at first since all i had @ that time was GW stuff. everyone welcomed me and made me feel as if i had been going for years!! so back to your mini. keep it up. and keep working. some thing your going to hear alot of is "thin your paints" here a good tutorial on that and other things.

http://www.reapermini.com/?nav=The%20Craft

Thanks for the suggestion Twizted. I don't have a wide variety of flesh tones, so I'll hunt some down. I saw that Liliana Troy has a good article on painting faces on her site. I'd like to try layering various flesh tones since the first attempt at layering turned out okay.

I have been thinning my paints, but not nearly as thin as the article you posted. I'll have to try that out and see how it works. Thanks again for the suggestions!

Thanks jjpens77!

if you dont have that many skin tones i would suggest the reaper master series triads. man they are AWESOME. they take all the questions out of mixing. base coat, shade, and highlight. definatly worth the investment! ::D: as for the thinning it may take some time to get used to a thinner paint but once you do youll see a huge differance in the quality of your work. and since your first attempt at highlighting is way better than mine i think your gonna do just great man. good luck!

Thanks guys. I'll check out the flesh-tone versions of the Master Series paints.

Good tip, Tommy. So this dark brown wash would go between the seems of any different aspects of the model? Like where the hair meets the cloak?