painting wood & darklining

im currently painting 2637: Marcus Starsong and ive hit a brick wall so to speak. My first problem is his staff i cant seem to find the right color combo for his wooden staff and was looking for some suggestions. My other big problem is about darklining. Marcus is wearing a both a shirt and vest, and I was wondering if i should darkline between the two or not. I know that you darkline between hair and skin, skin and armor etc.. but what about cloth and cloth??

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Twiztid!

When I paint wood I normally use a dark brown and a light brown together, usually Muddy Brown and Tanned Leather. Paint it in your base color, and if it's sculpted grain pick it out with a fine brush in your lighter color. If it's a smooth surface (like the haft of a weapon) I'll freehand tiny thin lines up and down the staff to simulate grain.

You can also use a layered stipple effect to create a wood-like texture.

As far as the lining goes that's more of a personal style point than any hard-and-true method. If you're painting two different colors of cloth I would line it to help create a stronger demarcation between the two. If it's different portions of the same colored material I usually paint it first and decide if it needs a line afterwards.

Hope this helps!

• Reaper User

Technically, a shirt and a vest (or jacket, or sash, or what-have-you) are two different things--though fashioned of the same type of material--so you would darkline. ::): If you didn't, it would look like they were the same piece of material, which they probably aren't! Or you'd get an effect like the Spectral Cavalry and Sergeant in the painted showcase (i.e. tip one when doing ghosts or statues--don't line. That way everything looks like it's made out of the same blob of ectoplasm or piece of stone). :;):

--Anne

p.s. as for woodgrain, there are as many colors of wood as there are colors of brown, red, black, and cream...you might want to do a google search (I just did one for "wood grain color" and hit the images tab, and came up with quite a variety). If you can link us to a particular pic of the color of wood you want, I can tell you what colors of paint to use. ::):

• Reaper User
This is the wood color that I would like to achieve or at least something close. http://cache.corbis.com/agent/11/40/10/11401084.jpg

I dont know if it should be used though. the mini's staff has alot of texture on it, not smooth at all.

Ahhh, that's an easy one! Basecoat with Master Series 9071, Chestnut Brown. Thin some Brown Liner 9064 down and use it as a wash over the Chestnut Brown (thus also making use of the texturing on the staff). Then, add a little Pure White or Linen White to the Chestnut Brown and there's your highlight (drybrush or layer as you will). Those should give you an almost exact color match. ::):

One thing you might want to watch out for--the wood color you chose is very red. If your model is painted in reds or oranges I would opt for a more neutral brown, and darker. Probably 9028 Muddy Brown.

--Anne

p.s. we do have a painted example of this model in the Showcase: http://www.reapermini.com/gallery/2600range/2637_ds

Thanks Anne! well I dont have those MS paints yet so i kinda went with something close. MSP muddy brown, then mixed some brown ink wash, and highlighted with MSP muddybrown/MSP pure white for a final highlight. I am pleased with the outcome. the mini doesnt have alot of reds in it only his vest (which i did darkline) so i wasnt to worried about the clash. Thanks for all your advise everyone.