Brush on primer

Hello people. This may be a stupid question but here it goes. When brushing on primer, does it have to be a special paint or can your regular paint do? Being a WH and WH40K player, I usually use GW's spray primer on my armies. I don't want to waste the spray when I'm working on only two or three minis at a time.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You need a primer. Primer has a special composition that allows it to stick to the metal, and the paint to the primer. This is the reason primer exists in the first place  :D

Btw-, I've tried painting without primer, and to be honest, those that don't have primer look worse over the same time period as those with primer.  Some of them you can't even tell they were painted at one time.

A special primer helps, but I have had good results with using watered-down white. Usually 2:1 water/paint mix, washed over the mini, works well.

But spray primer is much faster and works at least as well...which is why I moved to spray over brush-on.

I'd have to reccomend spray primer over brush on, hands down... When you only do a few minis at a time, there really isn't too much waste, just however much it takes to prime the can, really... and the look of spray is so much smoother than brush on...

But...   If you must use brush on, you really should use an actual primer. It goes on better, sticks better, looks smoother... The big complaint I have about any brush on is the possibility of 'bleeding' into crevases and ruining potential detail...

Just my $.02