GW Abbadon

Elouchard

Hey all,

Another GW figure, I know. I do have some reaper guys somewhere but I had to finish the commission. I went with metallics to save time but I probably could have done him in NMM also. Still I liked the outcome. I think it important to work on metallics in this "age of NMM" since they get such a good result when done properly.

The gold is bronze, washed with brown ink and varnish mixture, then highlighted with VGC burnished gold and some silver. The washes are the main thing to do to get the metallics right. Since the metallics had so much varnish with the ink wash, they stayed a little reflective after the dull cote. One thing I found useful was to move the figure out of the light so I could see the metallic paint better without reflections and better note the blends. Its something to think about when using them as the reflections hide mistakes from afar but close inspection will make them obvious.

The knives have a number of burnt umber + black layers to add dirt and make shadows. Its pretty much the same way I would do then in NMM, but I used silver as the white highlight.

The black armor was too plain so I added some dark red demons then washed the armor all over with red ink, then purple ink to give it a nice "shell" look. It is actually improtant to do that with small freehand details so it doesn't look like they are standing up on the surface. One can use varnish also and then dull cote.

thats pretty much it I think. Oh yeah, the yellow teeth. I figured he wouldn't brush much with all the crap on his hands.

cheers,

Eric

post-4-1115312352.jpg

• Like 1

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Cripes, Eric. He looks like a living person. Yet another astounding piece by one of the masters. I love the sword, and the metallics are simply stunning.

Don't suppose you have a booty shot?

Well was gonna post a pic of MY most recent work, until I saw this and decided to throw him in the trash along with all my paints and used my brushes as kindling for the bar-b-que! well not really but thats what i wanted to do after seeing the quality of this piece. Im not a fan of GW sculpts but man does he look GOOOOD!!! How long did it take to paint from primer to dull cote??

The sculpting quality is very good on this figure but the design is really bad, from the giant diaper he wears ( the reason for no back shot - just too silly) to the gigantic knives and rack of skulls. All really silly and not very intimidating. But the actual sculpting is top quality and ready easy to paint so don't chuck those brushes. It took about 6-7 hours to paint and a half hour to prep but I'm pretty fast. The little faces added an hour to the total and I probably could have sped through him quicker but he is part of a display with five fleshhounds so I spent a little more time on Abbadon.

I went with metallics to save time but I probably could have done him in NMM also. Still I liked the outcome. I think it important to work on metallics in this "age of NMM" since they get such a good result when done properly.

I just wanted to say you are so right! As long as they are done well it is so worth it!

BTW excellent job! I bow to your great Skill!