Caar help

NymMoondown

I have a '94 subaru Legacy, and I want to put a lift kit in it. Doe sany one know where I can go to learn how? Are there any car buffs out there? I also need some parts (I sor tof crashed it when I first started driving. It wasn't my fualt though). Is there an online place for this thats better than Ebay?

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A lifted Subaru...cool ::D:

I really doubt you will find a pre-made kit from someplace like skyjacker or rough country, but it might be a good place to start looking for ideas. You could probably get away with a some blocks, u-bolts and maybe some longer brake-lines in the back. The front is a little different since you are going to be playing with steering and you may need a new steering shaft (might be able to get something from Borgeson). Also dependsing on the amount of lift you are going after, you may run into some other problems as well. Go check out RamchargerCentral.com for some help with the lift, look through the tutorials and ask questions on the board. You'll get some good info there and while these guys are big into Dodge I'm betting they'll tell you what you to know.

As for parts, what kind of parts are you looking for? If it's grills, emblems and such you are best off looking on ebay. For something like a door or glass you might try searching at car-part.com and see what comes up. This will get you a list of junkyards around the country/state and you can contact them directly for the part and get shipping quotes. I used this service to get the window mechanisms for my RC to convert from power to manual.

One question.

Why?

Its a Guy Thing. Don't ask; just smile, nod, and back away slowly...

(I'm not being snarky, my '92 Jeep Wrangler will probably be turned into a rock-crawler if/when I retire it)

I can understand lifting a vehicle, especially if it's designed for off road use.

Why a Subaru Legacy? It's a station wagon IIRC. Not exactly the vehicle I can envision being lifted. How much are you planning to go BTW.

I can understand lifting a vehicle, especially if it's designed for off road use.

Why a Subaru Legacy? It's a station wagon IIRC. Not exactly the vehicle I can envision being lifted. How much are you planning to go BTW.

See, that was why I was questioning. If it was something like a truck I could see it, but to rice out a station wagon or a small econo car is just... weird. I see some people around here ricing out their cheap, imported sports cars with fake spoilers, oversized, coffee can exhaust pipes, and decals on the windows or door panels and it just doesn't look good.

My husband always jokes about ricing out our 92 Mazda Protege.

My favorite is the VW golf (hatchback, 4 door no less) )in my neighborhood with the big huge spoiler. I always laugh because it looks like the car has a carrying handle. ::D:

I see a lot of tricked out cars in my neighborhood. I find a lot of them comical because they really just do not look good or sound good on the type of car they are in. Engines should have that deep throaty rumble because of horsepower and a well tooled engine. Not some weenie rubber band 4 cylinder with straight pipes, no baffles and a bugle looking exhaust cap.

DO NOT DO A BODY LIFT!!!! I cant stress how important it is not to do a body lift on a vehicle. If you really want to do a lift spend the extra time and money and do the suspension kit lift. When doing a body lift you weaken the contact points between the frame and the body of the vehicle this can actually cause a truck to break in half!! the Body can seperate from the frame during extreme duress or if not installed EXACTLY right under the stress of stop and go. Also when doing a body lift a serious 4x4 enthusiast can spot a body lift in a heartbeat. because the frame will stick out below farther than it should. you also dont get the same amount of ground clearance with a body lift that you do with a suspension. If all you want to do is slap some bigger tires on there you can accomplish that by cutting the wheel wells and adding bigger tires. wont look very good but you will get the same amount of lift at a much cheaper price. So get the suspension lift!! BTW I think that its a cool idea to lift it. will make it stand out from all the sport compacts out there!!!

but to rice out a station wagon or a small econo car is just... weird

it. will make it stand out from all the sport compacts out there!!!

Exactly. ::P::upside: Its all wheel drive, has a near perfect engine (only like 55k miles IIRC), and it's my first car; costing me a mear 200 dollars.I let my mom barrow it before I could drive (I purchased the thing a year before I had my lisence) and she sort of 'broke it' somehow. Once I got my lisence, I chose to drive it regardless. within the week, I had an accident when a rear tire blew out on a bridge I was crossing and I spiralled out of control into the guardrail (My car won, the rail lost :;): ). My Dad felt bad because I only got to drive the car for a week before it got wrecked so he told me, as long as I pay for at least half of the cost, I can do anything I'ld like to.

As for parts, what kind of parts are you looking for? If it's grills, emblems and such you are best off looking on ebay. For something like a door or glass you might try searching at car-part.com and see what comes up. This will get you a list of junkyards around the country/state and you can contact them directly for the part and get shipping quotes. I used this service to get the window mechanisms for my RC to convert from power to manual.

As far as I can tell, only the body is damaged. I need a hood, the front 2 fenders, bumper, basicly everything to replace the headlamps, and um.... the thing in the front that the radiator is bolted onto (This one is the major deal, it was tweaked in the accident by about 3 inches.), and possibly a rim, if I can find a matching one.

It's an old enough car that you should be able to find a large majority of the body parts in a scrap yard.

Also, since it was caused by a mechanical failure (blown tire) you might be able to claim a no fault (and therefore no surcharge) accident on your insurance if your deductible is not too high...BTW, get the lower deductible, even using it once will pay for itself for several years. The difference for my deductible being $300 unstead of $500 is 70 bucks a year. Going through your insurance company would also allow not only the body repairs, but matching paint job. Then you can look to spend that extra money on tricking it out.