Sign in to follow this  
Doombringer

adepts - only 1 unit of them?

am i missing something or does anyone else think it's a bit odd that you can only have 1 unit of a particular type of adept in your army regardless of the size of the force? so crusaders can only have 1 unit of ivy crown archers whether its a 1,000 point game or a 10,000 point game?

You are correct, regardless of size you can only have one.

I see them being very limited troop types, whether you have 20 or 100 Dwarves on the board, there might only be a single unit of 10 sheild maidens available to be drawn upon in the region.

am i missing something or does anyone else think it's a bit odd that you can only have 1 unit of a particular type of adept in your army regardless of the size of the force? so crusaders can only have 1 unit of ivy crown archers whether its a 1,000 point game or a 10,000 point game?

Adepts are special. The troop that fields them will make a big difference in the battle.

PS

Note also that being in a pure-faction army, as opposed to a freelancer force, removes Adept status from many units. Check the faction-abilities page.

Actually, I see on the Paintenders, the Wraith Harvesters and the Skeeters as losing Adept status in pure faction armies. All the rest are solos that lose the Unique designation.

PS

If you're playing 10,000pt battles you might consider trying a different game... I sincerely doubt that Warlord lends itself too well to anything over 2,000pts or so. A 1,000 seems just fine for a two person battle, and in that size army a single unit of adepts can easily be a large part of your force. Warhammer has more complicated force structure and is designed for much larger battles, but I am pretty sure that for the size of battle that Warlord intends the adept rule is just fine...

Having used Warlord for a couple of battles inthe 3500-4000 point area, the system did not break down.

Several of us have done playtesting with the premise of extra adept units at different "bhigh point" levels. What the final result will be on that remains a question.

In your private, non-official games, use all the adepts your opponent will tolerate.

An all Shield maiden vs. all Skeeter battle could be quite instructional. :huh:

ok guys, im not trying to play warhammer and im not suggesting that the system ever breaks down, i just asked if everyone agreed on the way adepts work. my biggest game to date is 750 so it hasnt really been a problem but i also get asked a lot of questions while playing and this was one fo them.

If you're looking for the reason for having adepts in the first place Doombringer think about them as US Special Forces. Yeah, it'd be great if every soldier was as rough and tough as a Green Beret, but there's just not enough time/money/available recruits to have it.

If you look at the ones that are Adept you'll see that, on average, they're better than the troops in their army on some level or they have an ability or weapon type different from the standard theme of the army.

As far as only being able to only field one troop I played an 8,000 point game (4K per side) a few months ago. Having a large troop of adepts to shore up the main lines didn't seem awkward at all, especially considering I only had 4 troops of grunts as it was (lots of mages and solos). And regarding the system breaking down: my opponent and I were able to finish the game in two hours even with some good-natured rules discussions thrown in.

At this point, except for those units earlier mentioned(from page 112), only one unit of adepts per company is correct. Trust me though, the playtest with three units of Wraith Harvesters and two of Skeeters, was very cool.

... only one unit of adepts per company is correct.

That is not quite how I understand it. According page 49 you cannot have more than one troop of each type of adept, say, Khamsin Rangers in your Nefsokar Company. But you could have 1 troop of Khamsin Rangers, 1 troop of Khamsin Dervishes, and a third troop of Tomb Guards of Sokar (provided you have enough of the right type of leader models, yadda yadda yadda).

I believe you could have a troop that is made up of both Dervishes and Rangers, if you wish, you just can't have any other troops with Dervishes or Rangers.

And then there's my wife's complaint about her Deathriders that are both Adepts and Cavalry SA, but that's a different thread...

And another way I look at it (especiallly for the Ivy Crown Archers) is that some of these Adept troops are on loan and are only in limited numbers . ::):