750 points elves

Well, here's my first true attempt at a Warlord army list...

Arnise, Greater Armor, Lesser Weapon

95 points

Niriodel, Lesser Empowerment, Lesser Armor

4x Bandage, Cure

196 points

4 Deathseekers

132 points

2 Archers

88 points

511 points

Meridh, Improved Protection

56 points

5 Warriors

95 points

2 Archers

88 points

239 points

Total: 750 points, 16 models

Niriodel will spend most of his time keeping the deathseekers alive. When he's not casting bandage, he'll do some solo shooting. The archers will do their favorite thing, and shoot everything in range, preferably in volleys. In combat, I'll use the strategy outlined in the elf tactics thread- the warriors will line up in combat to allow the archers to shoot between them.

What do you all think?

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You're really hurting yourself by not making use of the elves greatest advantage, ranged combat. I would at the very least keep the 4 archers together in the same troop so you have the opportunity to volley better. With the 4 attack range, you're better off just making the 4 attacks seperately.

Cure is a great spell, but chances are you probably won't use it, not and all 4 bandages. You'll also only have your leader models and yourself where it might be useful. You might want to consider some other spell options.

I took a few extra bandages just because I had some points left. I also wanted to have 3 archers per squad, but then I can't have the deathseekers, so I'm split on that. I'll have to look at some of the other spells...what would you suggest for replacement spells? Speed seems fairly useless. Hold might be useful, and bless isn't totally useless...maybe 3x bandage, bless, and hold?

I haven't used it yet, but if I were an elf player I'd put all the archers together, add Niriodel and get a whole package of Blesses. Every round Bless the archers and shoot like mad. +4 RAV at 30" with Sure Shot?

I'm not a big fan of volleying. It has some uses, particularly if you have a Blazer, but usually you're better off with the elves huge number of individual attacks.

And Speed won't help you much. It's not really suitable for the elves. I use it all the time, but that's because the Overlords have a wicked assassin in Lola Darkslip. Give her a speed upgrade, and cast Speed on her and she can cover 20" and attack. Which means any model with it's back exposed with 20" is in a lot of trouble. I mean a lot. :grr: In your case tho, there's nothing comparable.

Hold is great for elves because the last thing you want to do it get into melee, and anything that keeps the fighters off the archers is good.

And finally, the Cures and Bandages: always useful, it's just a matter of how many spells you think you're going to get to cast, and whether or not it's the best use of your time. Frex, there's no one in that entire army that needs a Cure. Bandages to keep Arnise up are definitely nice tho, since she goes down so fast.

PS

You don't always have to match up a leader with the type of troop he goes with.

I use Kharg with my archer troop. He's the toughest of my sarges. Since I only have one Captain, and he's expensive, it's the only other option until the Faction book. Arnise isn't a bad one to keep around. She's fiesty.

1 Selwyn, Vale Captain @ 103 Pts

1 Niriodel @ 131 Pts

1 Spell - Bandage @ [10] Pts

1 Lesser Magical Empowerment @ [15] Pts

1 Vale Warriors @ 19 Pts

2 Death Seekers @ 66 Pts

4 Vale Archers @ 176 Pts

1 Meridh, Vale Sergeant @ 36 Pts

2 Vale Warriors @ 38 Pts

4 Vale Archers @ 176 Pts

Total Company Cost: 745

Use Selwin instead. She is hardier, still has 2 attacks and has a bow ::P: I would have the archers split up so that you can puch a hole with one unit and then kill a cleric, mage or some other impotant softie. There is nothing worth 50 points to cure in this list. If you had a treeman or Warlord OK. I personally would go for 3 more vale warriors instead of the Seekers also but you may want the feel of the Seekers. You need to slow them down and the Warriors are more likely to live so that your archers can kill whatever they slowed down.

I had volley kill Lunk the Goblin mage and a few archers on the opening volley one game. I would not under rate it. It is also useful to hit figures hiding out of sight with near a soldier in view for you to target and catch the real target under the template.

Looks pretty good...I think I'll use a slightly modified version...drop one, maybe two archers. Juggle the spells abit, put in some bless and maybe hold, plus the regular bandages, then use the remaining points for an extra warrior or deathseeker.

1 Selwyn, Vale Captain @ 103 Pts

1 Niriodel @146 Pts

2x Bandage @ 20 pts

2x Bless @ 10 pts

1 Hold @ 25 pts

1 Lesser Magical Empowerment @ [15] Pts

4 Vale Warriors @76 pts

4 Vale Archers @ 176 Pts

1 Meridh, Vale Sergeant @ 36 Pts

3 Vale Archers @132 pts

4 Vale Warriors @ 76 pts

Total Company Cost: 745

I took out the deathseekers for now, since I don't have any models for them. I do have ten warriors, nine archers, and selwyn (have to sub for Meridh...not too hard), as well as the rest of the leaders and elites. Though Niriodel will be a bit behind. Mine was damaged, and the replacement is still in the mail.

I actually find it very useful to split the archers. Good strategy. If they are together the enemy can predict who you are going to target by where you are, it is much harder for them to move around if there are multiple troops of archers.

Many times they will even forget that you have 2 activations of archers.

I would also suggest a solo of some sort, that will give you another card and allow you to better decide when you use your archers. Waiting until after the enemy moves can be life or death, same with attacking before they move at times.

Archers, even in one troop, can be split into smaller little groups and spread out, and all remain within the command radius of the leader.

But they must all target at the same time. If you went and moved a unit. Then I could shoot that unit with one unit. Remove the casualties then shoot with the other unit at the hidden chewy center. Then you no longer have a mage or cleric! ::P:

correct, but at some point you are going to get two units going one after another. I cannot think of a game it has not happened in. Can you?

Odds are that this tactic will come to fruition.

Also rarely is a unit which is moved earlier in the combat screened by another unit because they are now probably behind them and have to dance around the whole unit which would reequire a lot of movement. Which against Elves would be a wasted asset used in this mannerbecause you could be that much closer to engaging and Elves do not like that. :blink: