Multi Piece Miniature

I would NOT want to see minis cast with open hands, for a couple of reasons:

1) The hand rarely actually "grips" the weapon, at least not in a realistic way

2) the joint is very prone to breakage since you can't actually "pin" the weapon in place, or if you do, requires more clean-up.

If they were to go this route, I'd rather see them done either as handless arms, with weapons supplied on a seperate sprue (complete with hands), or as closed hands with no weapons, that the user has to drill to accept. Old Glory does this with some of their figures, and it works VERY well for durability...

Damon.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you ever tried pinning via drilling a hole through the palm of the hand and into the wrist, and a little way into the weapon handle and pinning it like that? :huh:

Yeah, that's a possibility, though very fiddly. On the figures I already have using the open-hand method, I'm considering rebuilding their weapons (spears) using brass tubing and rod, drilling a hole all the way through, and pin the thing to the figure's hand, for what would be the most secure joint I could think of. The only catch is I have 60 figures needing this method...

Also, using a x-acto knife, you can gently make a cut across the base ot the fingers on the inside surface of the hand and behind the second joint, then you can easily bend the fingers around the weapon. This was how I was shown in 1/35 scale modelling, where the same problem occurs. ::):

That's a fine idea, but not quite the "drop-fit" method I would want Reaper to follow. Casting either fists you have to drill out yourself, or a seperate sprue of hands gripping weapons (which might very well have different "grips," as not all weapons are created equal...). Nonetheless, IME, drilling out closed fists to accept weapons is the most secure and durable method for the smallest amount of hassle...

Damon.

Eh....once you have hands sculpted onto the weapon, you've got limited ability to interchange them - the position of the grip determines how to face it, and handedness as well. Unless the arms are also sculpted on, of course, and then you've got to match them to the torso. Open hand is easy to put a weapon in, and I find epoxy secure enough when when my fierced mini-breaking gamers come along.

Honestly, having dealt with "hands sculpted on the weapons" and "open hands" I prefer the latter. I'd rather have the weapons cast right on a one-piece mini instead of the first - it takes just as much work for me to modify the mini and I can make it just as secure.

I'm not so big on the idea of sculpting the weapon with hands on. That would be an improvement from the perspective of minimizing clean-up, certainly. However, I do have several miniatures built that way, and I can never... quite... get... the hands and arms or whatnot to fit right on the torso without a lot of fiddling. That's just a personal problem though. My other complaint about sculpted weapons is that they always seem to come out with a 4" to 6" wide shaft in scale... a literal "pole" -arm. I was just looking at those Nefsokar grunts I mentioned, and I realized that they do appear to be carrying their 4-6" pole weapons quite comfortably. Then I realized that was because their hands were as big around as their entire head. Obviously there are certain necessary adjustments to weapon and hand size forced by considerations of structural strength in the pewter. But I really think that we are coming to accept a degree of exaggeration in proportions that's getting out of hand. (that might be another topic though...)

Getting back to the subject at hand, I really would prefer open hands with separate weapons. As a reasonably experienced hobbyist by now, I could go with hands that needed drilling to accept a shaft or pommel, but I'm thinking of those new to the hobby who may not have all the tools or know-how to participate.