Good lord.

lstormhammer

So the money was in the pocket, and the gaming store was nearby. So what do you do to quench the smell of money burning a hole in your pocket? That's right. you spend it.

So I picked up some odds and ends, and even the Lupine Lord from El Reapero Magnifico. I have some things to say about it:

Good lord he's a hunk of metal. He's got heft and everything. I have minis that are smaller than his blade. This thing's just plain massive!

But now the downside: This guy had a LOT of flash and moldlines on him. I think it's something to do with it being a new model, but good lord he's going to take some work to make him paint-able. Guess I know what I'm doing tonight.

Usually, I expect a little trimming to do, it's the price of doing business, but this time there was a lot more than usual. I don't know if this is just the model, or what, but wow. Um, Lovely Reaper People, who I lie awake at night thinking about? Maybe slow down production a little bit. It might be your rabid fans on the Forums, but don't rush art. I'll buy it now, or I'll buy it when I get it, but if you rush, then mistakes can be made.

--the closest I'll get to criticizing Reaper.

--lstormhammer

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry to hear that LSH.

my copy wasn't bad at all.  four or five pieces of thready flash, a minor mold line, not too bad at all.

guess you got the bad one.

:( cbs

Nope, mine was like that too.  No biggie though.  I've coe to expect this sorta thing from any manufacturer.  That way, I'm plasantly suprised when the mini is a breeze to clean up!  :D

It could be that I'm really picky about the mold lines and flash, I dunno, but I find myself doing a LOT of work just getting rid of it all on the minis I get before I'm satisfied. Sometimes it'll take me a good four to five hours to clean up a mini to something acceptable.

Then I prime it and find places I miss. *sigh*

I use a Dremel with a Brass wire brush.. I keep the rpm's to something like 7500 and it saves a TON of filing.. it takes a little practice and a sacrificial mini (I recommend a B-tech mini, famous for massive flash) but you can get it down fairly quickly, once youve "seasoned" your brush it get's somewhat forgiving..

just thought I'd share :)

Arrgh, it seems they're last in line for any new Reaper releases... :(

I dunno... the shop I buy at (mail order) is still waiting to fill my order (begun in early January).  Waiting for their distributor to come up with a Spider Centaur, Lord Ironraven, and an Inquisitor of Malvernis... still.

Tick tock!

• Reaper User

Geez, I'm really sorry about that, lstormhammer...  The Lupine Lord figure is one that pretty much devours its mold the instant you first cast it.  We try to keep them as clean as we can, but apparently a bad one got through.  If it's really bad, let us know; we try really hard to keep people happy.

That one I'll take the blame on -- I designed him, but didn't realize it would be so difficult to put him on mold in that pose...

--Talin

I'll take some flash anyday to get a really good pose, as long as the mold is actually aligned properly. I'm used to GW, and without flaming them (which I do too often, and I shouldn't) they do tend to have a lot more flash than Reaper. Just one of the reasons I prefer Reaper, and not a major one, see above. The design looks awesome and I WILL be buying this mini, it's one of the few even slightly recent releases available in Australia at the moment. If I have to trim and file, eh, it's nothing I haven't done before and for lesser miniatures.

Geez, I'm really sorry about that, lstormhammer...  The Lupine Lord figure is one that pretty much devours its mold the instant you first cast it.  We try to keep them as clean as we can, but apparently a bad one got through.  If it's really bad, let us know; we try really hard to keep people happy.

That one I'll take the blame on -- I designed him, but didn't realize it would be so difficult to put him on mold in that pose...

--Talin

I had to look through 4 on the rack lupine lords to find one realativly clean of flash while at my FLGS. Now that Puppy makes for a GREAT Crinos form Get of fenris with a Grand Klaive. Nice basework too! I almost never use the square bases but that one i will. Also the goatmen from warlord seemed to have similar problems in the flash deparment.

Talin,

TBH you did a great job on the Lupine lord, but overall reaper as a whole seems to avoid multipiece casting. And sometimes the minis will suffer for this. While Wotc's chainmail was just patheticly sloppy when it came to casting this doesn't mean that multiparts have to be treated like the plague. Just don't start assuming people should HAVE to use putty to assemble thier miniatures! Make sure the joins are casted cleanly and in places where a seam would look in place, belts [frost giant], arm openings in armor[lupine ra[n]ger], etc.

Blorg mudstump; hill giant, would of been soo much better if he had been 3 pieces like the frost giant rather than the very flat 2 piece cast he waddled out in. He's a great mini, but very flat.

EDIT could you see about getting as much concept art up on the reaper site that you can? i want to see some moreof your designs.

--Talin

OK, Talin. First things first:

Don't be sorry, the model is in a great pose (and he painted up fantastic, need to get a camera and show you all). I understand the problems with casting, and you're forgiven.

This is also the first time it was a problem, and I know how (as I said earlier) Draconian the standards are, so I don't hold anyone to blame.

And people are looking at the paint job, not how many millimeters exact it is on the mold. If it's a little off, that's why I have a handy-dandy metal file.

And hey, this is the first in literally hundreds of Reaper minis. That's a pretty good average. :)

--and keep coming up with the artwork! :)

--lstormhammer