I just killed Shelob!

:0)

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A friend of mine has a son in the US Army who's stationed in Iraq, and he sent her some photos of a really big and nasty looking bug that he found in his tent. It was sort of a cross between a spider and a scorpion, and it was as big as your hand. He spent quite some time ranting about Evil Bugs. I thought it was a bit much for a bug, but I guess if you're writing home to Mom you can't very well rant about the really gruesome wartime stuff.  :blink:

Hehe... camel spiders - they have all sorts of myths attached to them (Like they scream and run 25mph)

Fact is, they are big (5-6" legs) - weird looking - they do run (at a top speed of about 10mph).

The really weird thing is that they will follow you around and will "chase" you so they can remain in your shadow. When they run, they also run with their front legs in the air.

I'd probably use a grenade to dispach them ;)

Used my .45 to dispatch one. I'm not arachnaphobic but damnit there's a limit! :angry:

Hehehehehe...We'd catch red ants and black ants and scoop out "arena's" in the sand and pour a bunch of each ant type in there and let them duke it out. :devil:

We'd also put scorpions in water bottles with the lizards that lived just under the sand. Lizards were mostly the winners. :devil:

The camel spiders are really aggressive and scary. They'll actually chase you and if I remember correctly they actually did make some kind of weird sound. Or maybe that was me screaming like a little girl and leaping on the hood of my Humvee.

When I used ot work at an exotic pet store, behind the cash register box where I wiolred ALL the time, the guys in the repltile department set up an aquarium wiht a Sunburst Baboob Spider. Anyway, this thing was big, mean, and fed mice. Needless to say, being so close to that took care of my arachnophobia for the most part. Nowadays, when I see small wolf spiders, I set them loose outside, but wow, those funnel spiders are evil looking and I'd kill it in a heartbeat.

Oh, adn as a side note/, when my family first moved to Florida, my mom stomped a big spider top learn that it was : A) A house keeping spider, B) That they carry quite a few of their young on their backs, and C) the young run REALLY fast when their mom has been stomped. It took my dad about half an hour to talk mom out of moving back to South Carolina. ::P:

Needless to say, being so close to that took care of my arachnophobia for the most part. Nowadays, when I see small wolf spiders, I set them loose outside, but wow, those funnel spiders are evil looking and I'd kill it in a heartbeat.

:unsure: I never had to give spiders much of a thought until I moved to Australia...stupid deadly continent (Snakes and Roaches were never a concern either)

Still, I've seen some big spiders here, a large one at home in Canada might have been the size of a 25 cent piece, imagine my surprise when I started seeing those Wolf Spiders everywhere.

I don't think I'd kill a funnel web, although I might, if it was female it would be wortht he trip to take it to get milked for the antidote me thinks.

Hehehehehe...We'd catch red ants and black ants and scoop out "arena's" in the sand and pour a bunch of each ant type in there and let them duke it out. :devil:

We'd also put scorpions in water bottles with the lizards that lived just under the sand. Lizards were mostly the winners. :devil:

In Palestine and Syria during WWI, Australian diggers used to catch one of the huge spiders and one of the huge scorpions that're running around over there, and then set them on to each other and laid bets on which one would win

I hope PETA isn't watching....

PETA wasn't around for the first great war... nope, those bleeding heart liberals are a fairly new breed ;)

"OOOoOoo you can't go around shooting monkeys with bazookas! It's inhumane! You can't train dogs to fight jellyfish, it's inhumane! You can't tie rockets to giraffes to make their necks longer, it's inhumane!" Bunch of fannys. ;)

I genuinely think everything is poisonous in Australia.

"Don't mind the biteys, you know they'll kill ya. Watch out for the wee koala, their venom can kill a man in 3 seconds! And Holey dooley, the CuddleMice of the Top End? Deadset the deadliest, able to strip a man's flesh off his bones in under a minute. Don't smell the gerber daisies either... their pollen is pure acid"

The thing that freaked me out about spiders.. centipedes and mostly.. EARWIGS.. as a child I was watching a show I think by Edger Allan Poe. Where this guy was trying to kill his wifes lover. He knew they were having an affair so he hired a native of the land I think south america or africa, to out an earwig into the mans ear.. they then burrow into your brain and then out the other end.. you usually die slowly and painfully according to the show. Well the guy he hired to do the job hired another and he did the deed. What was really a twist here was that the hired guy inserted it into the husband mistakingly. He confessed to his wifes lover.. (and friend from what I remember now) that the earwig was meant for him.. thinking he was going to die. The guy was in much pain but survived the ordeal. The doctor said it was a miracle.. and they disected the earwig only to find out that it was a female and it had laid eggs inside of the guys brain... end of show. From that point on.. I see an earwig.. and man do I freak out!!

I don't mind spiders overmuch, but they need to stay outside.

Around here we have these little, furry, black Mexican jumping spiders. They just irritate me.

It's the Brown Recluse and the Black Widow (yes, I've seen some BWs around here recently) that get an instant stomp-to-kill out of me.

A friend of mine has a son in the US Army who's stationed in Iraq, and he sent her some photos of a really big and nasty looking bug that he found in his tent. It was sort of a cross between a spider and a scorpion, and it was as big as your hand. He spent quite some time ranting about Evil Bugs. I thought it was a bit much for a bug, but I guess if you're writing home to Mom you can't very well rant about the really gruesome wartime stuff.  :blink:

Hehe... camel spiders - they have all sorts of myths attached to them (Like they scream and run 25mph)

Fact is, they are big (5-6" legs) - weird looking - they do run (at a top speed of about 10mph).

The really weird thing is that they will follow you around and will "chase" you so they can remain in your shadow. When they run, they also run with their front legs in the air.

I'd probably use a grenade to dispach them ;)

Used my .45 to dispatch one. I'm not arachnaphobic but damnit there's a limit! :angry:

Yup. I put one down with my M4. For a second i thought it was a Homicide Bomber Bug. Had to put it down.

:devil:

I found my shotgun to be the weapon of choice when a huge wolfspider on a fencepost reared at me. It scared the HELL outta me. So, I guess it was a reflex action... :rolleyes:

Tommy. ^_^

That depends, were you standing by the fence post with a loaded, cocked shotgun? If not, it was just spite. ::P:

So my curiosity got the better of me. <_< I Googled "camel spider"

I jumped in my chair and had the heeby-jeeby shakes several seconds.

camelspider1.jpg

I really, really, really hate spiders.

THe only good spider is an extremely flat spider! :grr: