Sign in to follow this  
:0)

I just killed Shelob!

God in Heaven!

Why do we still tell our kids that monsters don't exist when there is evidence of that?

I have never shared this with anyone before, but when I was in the military I was hoisting an empty water bag (55 gallon or so) up onto its frame so it could be filled and there was a camel spider resting underneath it. I dropeed the bag, shreaked like a 3rd grade girl and ran away to find other work to do. I had never seen one before and it freaked me out. I was willing to get shot and face combat, but I did not want to mess with that giant spider.

I live in the middle of woods here in germany. WE don't have the real poisonous spiders here but we had an invasion of tem nasty eight legged freaks a few weeks ago. They came under door through the windows in all shapes an sizes...My finacee was freaked for weeks:)

I sually only kill the big fat looking ones, the really leave a mark when they bite. But leave the the others for "pest control" :)

God in Heaven!

Why do we still tell our kids that monsters don't exist when there is evidence of that?

"My mommy told me there were no monsters--no real ones, but there are."

The camel spiders are really aggressive and scary. They'll actually chase you and if I remember correctly they actually did make some kind of weird sound. Or maybe that was me screaming like a little girl and leaping on the hood of my Humvee.

Actually they do make a strange sound... two of them to be exact. They make a clicking sound, kind of like the butt of a brush on a plastic bottle cap. The other is the scariest in my opinion. They actually shreek.. something like a cricket does with its legs, you know their chirp. This big nasties make a shreeking sound. If you hear it, you are too close. From what I understand from our liason, they only do that when threatened.

The fact that they are agressive is merely happenstance. Once again, from what I understand from the liason, they are merely brave. Think about it, something like that charges at you, and you run right? What better defense mechanism.

Now the really sick part, while I did my tour over there, we played a fun little game called Camel golf. We would take a shovel, and smack one as far as we could. It would almost always charge back, its front legs in the air waving ferociously... charge back right into the waiting shovel slap. I mean really, what are a bunch of air force guys going to do over there? Of course this game was called on account of one of the guys getting bit. That is another tale.

Fallen

And some of you probably laughed at me for shooting one with my .45 <_< I shot it three times to be exact.

Newt was right, there ARE monsters and these things qualify in my book.

If it's any consolation; I think the pic is two of them locked together somehow.

The camel spiders are really aggressive and scary. They'll actually chase you and if I remember correctly they actually did make some kind of weird sound. Or maybe that was me screaming like a little girl and leaping on the hood of my Humvee.

Actually they do make a strange sound... two of them to be exact. They make a clicking sound, kind of like the butt of a brush on a plastic bottle cap. The other is the scariest in my opinion. They actually shreek.. something like a cricket does with its legs, you know their chirp. This big nasties make a shreeking sound. If you hear it, you are too close. From what I understand from our liason, they only do that when threatened.

The fact that they are agressive is merely happenstance. Once again, from what I understand from the liason, they are merely brave. Think about it, something like that charges at you, and you run right? What better defense mechanism.

Now the really sick part, while I did my tour over there, we played a fun little game called Camel golf. We would take a shovel, and smack one as far as we could. It would almost always charge back, its front legs in the air waving ferociously... charge back right into the waiting shovel slap. I mean really, what are a bunch of air force guys going to do over there? Of course this game was called on account of one of the guys getting bit. That is another tale.

Fallen

Making music videos is popular with the norwegian troops, check out my "Kosovo" thread if you haven't, fun stuff.

Are these Camel Spiders dangerous to humans ?

I wasnt kidding when i shot it with an M4. Think about it. You are in a prone defensive position trying to defend the workers behind you. Then all the sudden this thing charges the line screaming. wouldnt you shoot?

I wasnt kidding when i shot it with an M4. Think about it. You are in a prone defensive position trying to defend the workers behind you. Then all the sudden this thing charges the line screaming. wouldnt you shoot?

Shoot? Heck, I might even call in an airstrike.

I'm not afraid of spiders, but I'm afraid of those. Any insect that's larger than a cat deserves to be shot. Pretty hitting it with my shoe wouldn't suffice.

OKay, can anyone post a link to pics of these spiders?

Scroll up a bit. I posted a pic in my first reply.

Prepare yourself! Especially if you have an aversion to spiders! :blink:

**edit** Tommy beat me to it