lstormhammer

So is it good?

I heard it said at my in-laws this weekend that there are a lot of directors who can get very good results from mediocre performars, while Lucas excels in getting mediocre performances from very good actors.

Saw it again, and on second view, it's still good enough to be Star Wars.

Yep. I think it kinda shows that Lucas really would have preferred to be in animation rather than live-actor cinematography. Who knows?, maybe the CGI projects will be more his cup of tea...

If you're trying to hide someone from a powerful enemy who you think will try to hunt them down, wouldn't you think the first place they would look would be with extended family, maybe, Oh I don't know, on the home planet of the father's mother!

CSI Star Wars: The clonetrooper captain asks...

"Could you explain, Owen Skywalker, where this boy child came from? No one remembers seeing your wife pregnant in the last 9 months and he looks the same age as a child reported missing from Naboo. We'll see if Lord Vader can't shed some light on this.."

"Hmmm, the force is strong with this one... but not for long."

Agree with all the bads everyone else has said. Film was easily the best of the three but everything is relative.

The reason we forgive the ropey acting/dialogue in the originals is that the originals were grounded in character, not situation or location. We cared about the heroes because we felt we were beginning to know them. In the prequels, the characters are unsympathetic - their dialogue jars us more. Lucas thinks he can rely on the grandeur of his visuals, failing to realise that it won't paper over the cracks in the human element but show them up.

People are looking at the prophecy in too short a term. If Anakin kills Palpatine, the force will be unbalanced because there will still be the Jedi council and (possibly) some scattered 'dark' Jedi. However, by destroying the Emperor at the height of his powers at the climax of the Battle of Endor, killing himself in the process (and gaining redemption) and leaving Luke alone, who has gone to the absolute brink of the Dark Side but not crossed over the balance of the force is completely aligned and prophecy is fulfilled. It is Anakin who brings this balance about by not allowing Palpatine to kill Luke.

IIRC, Vader was informed that Padme and the "child" she was carrying were both deceased, or he might have assumed in his anguish.

If you're trying to hide someone from a powerful enemy who you think will try to hunt them down, wouldn't you think the first place they would look would be with extended family, maybe, Oh I don't know, on the home planet of the father's mother!

Sometimes the most obvious place is the best place to hide something.

"Where's the TV remote? I can't find it."

"Oh, I put it on top of the TV."

IIRC, Vader was informed that Padme and the "child" she was carrying were both deceased, or he might have assumed in his anguish.

Correct. Which is why as she's being moved along to be "buried" as part of the funeral procession in one of the last scenes of the movie, her stomach appears to still contain the child(ren).

Sure 'nuff. Course, you have to wonder why Vader didn't dispatch a couple batallions of Storm Troopers to Tatooine to wipe out the Sand People - he's evil, they killed his mother, so why not?

You might ignore the husband of your mother, or his son, but you would think that there would be a lot fewer Sand People.

Of course, you start thinking that way, you'll wonder why they didn't turn everything within 30 miles of the shield generator on Endor into dust - no sneaking up through the jungle or getting help from plucky indigs if that had been the case.

Yoda and Obi-Wan didn't KNOW that Vader had been told the children were dead and they should have assumed he would come after them. Vader was, in fact, only told that Padme was dead and no reference was made to the fate of the children and his vision of her death clearly indicated a child crying while she died, indicating there was a surviving infant. That vision can be the only reason he doesn't realise that Leia was born - the knowledge of Luke's sister is a genuine revelation to him in RotJ. If two children had been crying he'd have known.

Let's get real, the dialog in the original films was bizzare as well, but it often works very well, even when delivered by Mark Hammel (and I think alot of people will agree he was the weakest link in the original trilogy as far as acting goes). I think the major difference is that the actors (who all admit to thinking Lucas was crazy while making the film with him) were still able to get into their roles; while the new trilogy has a very high level of acting ability, who just don't pull it off; and the digital settings and blue screen acting is the biggest reason I can think of as to why the acting appears so poor in Ep 1,2,3.

That reminds me of something on the LotR DVD's, when the cast are talking about being on set at Edoras. Miranda Otto and Bernard Hill (Eowyn and Theoden) say something along the lines of how hard it is not to get swept up in the role when you can stand in front of the Golden Hall and actually look out at the mountains all around you and feel the wind in your hair.

Perhaps Lucas just tried to put in so much eye candy that he forgot that his actors need something to respond to as well.

I liked the movie well enough. The scenes between Anakin and Padme didn't seem to stop the flow of the film as much as those between Mary Jane and Peter Parker in the Spiderman films...so I guess that's something to be thankful for.

Besides, getting to see Yoda tear it up one last time before retiring to the swamp was well worth the price of admission. :B):

Oh, there was another thing: There seemed to be a rather large difference in the choreography between when the Emperor was fighting Windu and Yoda. How convenient that he had a hood on so that an actual stunt man could be doing the moves rather than an old guy who swings a blade worse than I do... ::P:

I finally saw this last weekend.

After having seen the original three movies and then the past three, this is what I will say.

The special effects were awesome.

The dialogue in parts was a tad cheesy.

Overall though it was one of the better Star wars movies. Lucas made up for episode 1 and 2 with this one.

Think of the end of Se7en, with Brad Pitt. We know what was in the box, even if we didn't see it.

William Shattner's head?