Splotchy Colors

Jubilee

Hello,

i am finding with some of the mid & highlight colors with the master series paints that I am getting very powdery/splotchy/grainey paints when I have them thinned. It seems if I try to get them less thin, then they are too thick to get the desired level of transparency for layering. What am I doing wrong? So far this has happened with the chesnut/rust colors, the true blue/sky blue, and the grass green/jade green on my current project. I don't have this trouble with golden blond/amber gold, though, nor with the tan, pale, or dark flesh. I'm sure there are other colors that I've successfully used, but this is the problem I'm having with my current project. =(

I use filtered bottled water mixed with a small amount of winsor & newton thinner (I know that people say just use water with these paints, but I also use vallejos and occasionally foundry paints, so I need a mix that includes a little bit of thinner--I can deal with the shine).

Any suggestions??

/alison

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That shouldn't be happening, the MSPs are designed to avoid that. I've seen something similar happen with mine, though. I think you just need to mix a bit more thoroughly. I've never used thinner, myself, but that could be causing your problems also. Hope that helps!

Try thinning them down with just water for a while to see if this helps. If not, I'd say that your either thinning them too much or not shaking the bottle enough.

I've been using the paints for a while now and haven't noticed ths kind of effectwith any of them, I came across a few other behaviours but now that I am used to the consistency I love them.

• Reaper User

I'll check out the red-browns and the blues to see if I can spot the problem. Most of the paints you mention are mixed with the same base so it's possible that there's an inconsistancy there; when did you get your paints?

Thanks,

--Anne ::):

i got my paints for Christmas - they were purchased almost as soon as they were available. I did have the grainy black problem that other people reported and a new one fixed that.. this problem seems different.

It's almost like the individual pigments separate from each other so in some places more of the color underneath shows than in others.

I _do_ shake my paints, but I think I've gotten lazy since the reapers don't *appear* to need as much shaking as the vallejos (there isn't the visible separation)