Telemnar Elf Paladin

Lemmy

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You have an interesting style. The mini's a little bright for my taste, but that's probably just me. The two-tone metal bands really stand out, maybe a little too much. The placing of the highlights on the face seems a bit off to me, though I can't tell exactly what the problem is. Given that you haven't painted recently, it's awesome!

Your free hand is awesome. I wish I had skills like that. Your color choices are also nice (they were my high school colors). While I like your overall style on the clothes I would suggest . . .

Since this figure was an elf your basecoat for skin should have been more pinky/white than orange and you should mix up a fair amount of the base coat, thin it out and add more white to it when you do the highlights. The placement of the highlights is fine, they are just too pronounced.

The eyes are too big also. I have noticed that many painters out there use a similar style for painting eyes that you have used which usually makes the eyes look too big. Knowing that your free hand is awesome you should be able to paint the whites of the eyes, irises and pupils free hand with a very finely tiped brushe. You should only paint the eye where it has been sculpted. It's tricky but with practice it really looks great.

It looks like you used a gloss varnish to seal the mini . . . that or its amazing highlighting. Gloss varnish is much more sturdy and will protect the mini better than matte varnish but it usually obscurs detail that would otherwise look great. If you do use gloss varnish you might want to spray a light coat of matte varnish over it to reduce the "wet" look and bring out more of the detail.

Those are my three suggestions but overall your mini looks really good! Keep it up.

Fieldarchy,

Thanks for taking the time to give feedback and suggestions, both are appreciated.

My reply:

Your free hand is awesome. I wish I had skills like that.

I'm guessing the 'freehand' folks are referring to on this model is the pattern at the bottom of his tunic/robes? I had never tried that before but having seen so much great stuff on the reaper forum, galleries and elsewhere, I had to give it a shot. The pattern I did was pretty simple compared to others I've seen but I wanted to start with something I thought I could handle with passable results. I think it's still a little sloppy on the back side. But glad people like it. Thanks!

Since this figure was an elf your basecoat for skin should have been more pinky/white than orange and you should mix up a fair amount of the base coat, thin it out and add more white to it when you do the highlights. The placement of the highlights is fine, they are just too pronounced.

Totally agree with you there. I haven't really worked with thining paints but will on my next endeavors. I use Citadel paints cause thats what was available at my local brick and mortor. I like them well enough but I do think I need to experiment with thinning. And I need to work on my skin tone blending. The hightlights are definitely too pronounced in the photos.

The eyes are too big also.

LOL! You busted me. I had painted them smaller and they looked OK, but I just ... had to tinker .. just a ...little...more... DOH! Too much paint. <_<

The fig was finished at that point and I didn't have the stamina to repaint the eyes from scratch. I may go back and fix that. Thanks for keeping me honest.

It looks like you used a gloss varnish to seal the mini . . . that or its amazing highlighting.

Actually a bit of both. The highlights are painted. But I did use a gloss sealer for durability then used a matte clear over that. I wanted to use Testor DullCote since that seems to be the drug of choice for most painters, but I can't find it anywhere locally... or at least haven't found it yet. I used Rustoleum Matte Clear acrylic. It still had too much gloss for my taste. I will have to expand my radius in my quest for DullCote.

Again, thanks for the suggestions!

You have a good style and I like it. Your color choice is good, especially the tabard and hair.

From an improvement standpoint, I just think you really need to thin your paints more. The paints over all look a bit rough. Read this. It is the best discussion about paint thinning and use I have ever seen.

Also, your highlight seem a bit severe. try blending/highlighting with more shades to bring the highlight up more gradually.

TS

Lemmy you are welcome for the suggestions. You are really good. How long have you been painting?

At first I was using Citadel Colours myself and they are way too thick. I would suggest getting either Reaper Pro Paints or the Master Series Paints. They are really nice. They are a little thick but not as bad as GW paints and they need just a little bit of water to thin them down to a good consistency. Otherwise the figure looks good.

Tailspinner,

Your color choice is good, especially the tabard and hair....

From an improvement standpoint, I just think you really need to thin your paints more.

Thanks for the feedback. I use this mini in a game I currently play in. I had painted him with black hair, but my character went through a physically traumatic experience which turned his hair white. So I repainted the hair.

Thinning... Yep. That seems to be the consensus. Thanks for the link to the tutorial - saved me the legwork of searching for an article on the topic.

Fieldarchy,

Lemmy you are welcome for the suggestions. You are really good. How long have you been painting?

I painted approximately 6 figures about 8 years ago. Then one figure about 2 years ago, then 4 figures within the last two months. Each stab at painting seems to have improved the level. Now if I just keep painting consistently, maybe I can get better technique down. ::D:

Well you have the potential just practice practice practice. I usually try to sit down once a week and paint one figure. Since I am a student it is a cheap activity since I already have all the paints and it gives me an opportunity to use my creativity regarding art, instead of archaeology. Not to mention its really cool when you see your friends faces with utter amazement on them after you have completed a figure. That is the most rewarding part of painting, in my opinion.

Try to sit down once a week or once every other week. The more consistent you are with painting the better you will be at it.