Masters touch brushes

Well I finally found some Kolinsky sable brushes @ hobby lobby of all places!! They are called Masters Touch brushes multimedia. They look similar to the W&N series 7 miniature brushes so I decided to go ahead a pick them up. I mainly bought them instead of the W&N because I was able to actually see the tips and kind of test them out with some water. They really looked good without any paint on them but I was wondering if anyone else has tried these out?

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I picked up a 'set' with the half-off coupon I had a while ago.

A couple of the tips are starting to curl with use and the size 0 (ah, ol' number 0) is getting worn after a rather short period of time.

But for the price, working good!

Well ive been using them for a couple days now and the difference between these and the crappy citadels and testors brushes is amazing!!. Now as soon as I can find a local store that sells W&N's Ill be set!!!! Rastl what do you consider a short amount of time??

The only local stores I've ever found Winsor & Newton series 7's are at professional art supply stores, one's that carry very high end stuff. You'll not likely every find them at craft stores.

Search for art supply stores in the phone book and just start calling. If there are universities in the area, find out where the art department and it's students get their good supplies.

Also look at paint and wallpaper stores...often, they will have a small nook in them dedicated to fine art paint supplies. I've actually found some very good brushes in them (W&N s7) but they were nearly $20 each. Most art supply stores, even with the higher end stuff that carry the series 7's, that I have seen tend to have them priced in the $13-20 range. Dick Blick almost always has them on sale for between 6-8 bucks.

Ive seen them @ Dickblick but im afraid to order anything online anymore. everytime I do whatever I get is all jacked up!! But if noone has ever had a problem with them I might give it a try and order 1 or 2. The only fine art studio that we had here in town closed down almost a year ago and my local University ( which I live across the street from) gets all there supplies from Hobby Lobby!! Man I hate this town! My FLGS closed now its just the one crappy one who really is just a GW & comic book store. They dont sell any paints other than GW. The one train store is almost as bad. they do carry Tamiya paints but now that ive got some of the RMS i dont want the hassle of jar paints anymore. Oh well that just means more trips to TX!!!

The only fine art studio that we had here in town closed down almost a year ago and my local University ( which I live across the street from) gets all there supplies from Hobby Lobby!! Man I hate this town!

How far are you from the next decent sized town? You might want to widden your search for art stores. Even some small towns may surprise you with a decent store. Driving an hour or two may be worth it just so you can see what you're buying.

Vallejo Kolinsky sables are very good as well.

Im about 30 min away from Lawrence KS (KU Jayhawks) and Manhattan KS (KSU wildcats) and 1 hour away from Kansas City. But with all the traffic and college kids I hate going to those cities!! One time while walking down the street in Lawrence some guy walked up and punched me then ran off!! I was P*****. couldnt catch him he was waaaay fast. But maybe one day ill just swallow my hatred and go. or just buy online. BTW is the Vallejo Kolinsky's as good as the W&N's?

**Oops didnt read that last line**

Edited by twiztidjuggalo78

BTW is the Vallejo Kolinsky's as good as the W&N's?

**Oops didnt read that last line**

It's hard to say better or worse. I like the Vallejo kolinski sables. The have a different feel in terms of flex, stiffness and paint control. I prefer the W&N's, but I imagine there are those the prefer the vallejo's.

I believe DiVinci makes kolinski sables that I've heard good things about, but have never used.

There are a lot of other good brushes besides the WN7s. I have a lot of them. I understand the concerns about purchasing from online vendors, especially brushes. Only two out of fifty plus brushes I bought were defective and one was from a store (packaged). Dick Blick replaced the other one quickly and at their expense.

Dakota Brushes sells Da Vinci and Escoda Brushes. They ship brushes in a special plasctic envelope with a fixed $5 shipping fee. Escodas are dead ringers for Vallejo Brushes. The #1 I have is good for 95% of figure painting, the tip is that good.

dakota

Brush info

Dakota Brushes sells Da Vinci and Escoda Brushes. They ship brushes in a special plasctic envelope with a fixed $5 shipping fee. Escodas are dead ringers for Vallejo Brushes. The #1 I have is good for 95% of figure painting, the tip is that good.

dakota

Brush info

I was checking the Dakota website, the kolinski sables are all in either the Watercolor or oil painting section, not acryllic. Which categories are appropriate for acryllics? What's the difference between a kolinski designed for oils and one for watercolor?

Rastl what do you consider a short amount of time??

Well, I've been using mine for about 6 months and I use them heavily. No light touch here!

I do shape them at the end of each painting session but the one I use the most is still starting to lose it's shape. I'm guessing that's just normal wear and tear.

I really like the point I get on my #2 - holds paint well and lets me deliver it where I wanted. Well, when my hand puts it in the right spot. :rolleyes:

I do plan on posting some pics as soon as I get the photo box finished. Honest.

I was checking the Dakota website, the kolinski sables are all in either the Watercolor or oil painting section, not acryllic. Which categories are appropriate for acryllics? What's the difference between a kolinski designed for oils and one for watercolor?

As with the WN 7s it's the watercolor line that most painters use for mini painting. Even the painters who use oils tend to favor the WN 7 type brushes which are designed for watercolor use. As it was explained to me, watercolor brushes are softer to soak up the paint and release it evenly while natural hair acrylic and oil painting brushes are stiffer to keep the thicker paint loaded onto the first third of the brush. Good quality oil/acrylic brushes often have the ends of the brush hairs split or flagged to hold more paint and distribute it evenly instead of onloading all at once. I know some painters who could not find WN7s because they were going with the obvious and looking for acrylic brushes to use with their hobby paint.