Lightening with a white glaze?

Hi, anyone out there? Or is everyone in Denton?

After a long time off from painting (3-4 months), because of a heavy sense of dejection after the loss of my mini collection (da***d movers 'lost' them), I'm painting again. Yay!

Anyway, here is my question: what do you guys and gals think of using white or some light-colored glaze to lighten the overall look of a paintjob? I started painting a half orc, but he has turned out too green, I wanted to just make him slightly greenish to show his mixed heritage. Does anyone have any experiences with using glazes this way? Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think this would work, mainly because a glaze or wash would be thin, meaning it would sink into the lower parts of the mini and possiby lightening them up, while leaving the raised parts of a mini still dark.

I definately would not use white to try and do it.

My solution would be to add another lighter highlight of green to the skin tone. I believe what you suggest doing would likely result in a muddy and unatural look, and not accomplish what you want it to.

Just my 2 bits.

Some of the best painters out there use this method to highlight their minis.

Because a glaze is very thin it takes a number of layer to bring the colour up, and you need to make sure that you don't overload your brush.

Try applying a line of the glaze to the uppermost area you want to highlight (so put it where you want it to be lightest) then feather it down to the darker area. By spreading the paint out this way you are reducing the risk of a ringing effect and increasing the transparency of the layer which helps to smooth out the effect.

Some painters go so far as to then take a clean dry brush and use it to wipe of the excess paint. When this step is added it's known as Tinting.

Hope this helps.

Yeah, that definitely helps, thanks everyone!

Actually as I am looking at the mini now, it looks a little strange, as the recesses are a dark green, while the tops of the muscles are flesh colored. That is what I was going for , but it turns out that it looks really weird. So I think I will try some light green glazes, and hope that they lighten the crevices while giving a greenish hue to the raised parts.

I'll let you know how it looks :)

As Eric and others said, Mike, you're on the right track...it might not be white, but a pale color that will help shift it to the color you want. I also do this a lot...I'm horrible with color choices and end up having to shift shades all the time. Basically don't do anything high contrast at first--start slow and easy--it usually takes a few shades to switch it to a color you do like. Then be prepared to re-highlight. Do it more as a glaze than a wash...don't slobber it on like we do washes at the Paint & Take...control it!