Weird D&D Armor Ideas

Vil-hatarn

An odd idea I recently came up with. I'm currently calling it druidic composite armor. Basically, it's a combination of darkwood, mithril, and dragonscale. The mithril is negligible, just enough for chain in vulnerable spots (not enough to violate druidic oaths, though). Large parts that don't require movement would be made of darkwood. Other parts that need more flexibility would be made of dragonscale or thin darkwood fastened by enchanted leaves (that's out of Eberron, I think- someone mentioned it to me once).

In game terms, it would reduce the armor check by 2, and weigh about 3/4 as much as normal, and (maybe) counting as a category lower like mithril does.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it would be a good idea to have it count as light armour given the weight reduction, and it being designed to be flexible. The sheer cost of having that armour made in terms of materials should offset any balance concerns. =P

Sounds similar to Elven Darkleaf armor from the Arms and Equipment Guide. It's made of carefully cured and sculpted Darkwood, supplemented by alchemically treated leaves.

Game stats: +1 Max Dex bonus, Armor Check Penalty reduced by 2, Arcane Spell Failure chance reduced by 5%, and treated as one category lighter than normal for purposes of movement and other limitations (although light armor remains light). There is no reduction in weight though. It costs an extra 750 GP for light armor, an extra 2, 250 GP for medium armor, and an extra 3,000 GP for heavy armor and only armor generally made of metal can be constructed from it. It also requires an Alchemy check (DC 25) in addition to the Craft (armorsmith) check to make it...

AaEG, pgs 19-20.

Sounds similar to Elven Darkleaf armor from the Arms and Equipment Guide. It's made of carefully cured and sculpted Darkwood, supplemented by alchemically treated leaves.

Game stats: +1 Max Dex bonus, Armor Check Penalty reduced by 2, Arcane Spell Failure chance reduced by 5%, and treated as one category lighter than normal for purposes of movement and other limitations (although light armor remains light). There is no reduction in weight though. It costs an extra 750 GP for light armor, an extra 2, 250 GP for medium armor, and an extra 3,000 GP for heavy armor and only armor generally made of metal can be constructed from it. It also requires an Alchemy check (DC 25) in addition to the Craft (armorsmith) check to make it...

AaEG, pgs 19-20.

I like that...might make parts out of dragonscale just for coolness factor, but keep the same stats.

Here's a slightly altered version, see what you think:

Druidic Composite Armor

Armor check penalty reduced by 2, loses 3/10 weight, cost three times a masterwork normal suit. Could also add +1 Dex, -1 AC.

I'll just jump in and agree that mithril is pretty much a Druid no-no as far as Cannon D&D material goes.

I'll just give one example: Ebberon setting, Warforged characters created with mithril armor are unable to cast druid spells.

Geee, I sound like a rules lawyer...Ick, anyway, I think it would depend on the leniency of the GM, he might see mithril as being part of the Earth, but then I'd have to ask the question, isn't iron ore part of the earth too? And we know druids can't use that. Anyway, I do really like the Darkwood idea, in fact I think somewhere amongst my Forgotten Realms books I've seen this done.

My DM's letting me use darkleaf.

On the mithril, it's not the main material, just a very small component. Druids can carry a small amount of worked metal- scimitar, anyone? Just enough for patches of chain shouldn't be a problem. Not that it matters at this point anyway, since I'm using darkleaf.

Hey, this is 3rd Edition. If Trolls can be Paladins, Vampires can be Monks, and Chaotic Evil Gnolls can be Rangers what's wrong with Druids wearing metal armor? Read Queen Bee's post about the type of miniatures she's looking for to get an idea of how broken 3E games can get.

It will be nice when 4th Edition comes out and they get rid of all the silly alingnment restrictions so I can play my Half-Red Dragon/Water Elemental Gestalt Paladin/Assassin.

If the mithril is a bad idea for a druid you might have to use leather to protect the joints.

Another thing I have to say about the armor can be summed up into two words FIRE BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!