Sign in to follow this  
illanthraen

Reaper Paints: Good?

Hello there. I recently went to do some painting as I haven't done any in such a long time and just felt like it. To my great despair I found that a good portion of my favorite shades had dried up what looked like centuries ago.

The paints came from a certain company once good but now turned horribly evil and I don't want their overpriced paint. So I had to think of someplace else to get some paint. Living in a small town I have few options, so I thought of maybe trying Reaper's paints as it is not to difficult to get them via post. Before I did I thought I would ask those of you who use/used them what you think of them. I plan on getting myself an entirely new set of paints, so I have to weigh cost with quality.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Pro Paints are excellent, but tend to build a skin. The yellows have the worst problem and after 20 months of not painting, almost all my yellow tones in the Pro Paints were unusable. I will say there are many wonderful, beautiful colors in the Pro line, specifically the metals and Silks and Satins. Inks I don't use very much, so I wouldn't bother with them.

The Masters I have only used this past weekend, but are very nice. Must have colors of these are:

Rosy Skin triad: 9067, 9068, 9069

Nightshade Purple 2022

Linen White 9061

Liner triad: 9064, 9065, 9066

Palomino Gold 9074

I did get more than this, but these are wonderful colors, and the Rosy Skin triad is a gorgeous skintone.

The Masters you can thin with only a bit of water or a smaller amount of Gunk (water/extender/flow aid) and they come in dropper bottles (which means less waste).

Both sets come with skull shakers.

If I had my choice, I'd go with the Masters, but I have a huge amount of Pro still so I'll use what I can.

For what it's worth, the Master series color and paint composition was designed with assistance from Reaper's in-house paint mistress Anne Foerster (aka Vaitalla on here).

What is the difference between the Pro Paint line and the Master? I looked around on the store but there are few details, other than I see different names for similar shades.

Prior to the release of Reaper Master Paints, I've been using primarily Vallejo Model Color (VMC) and a few Vallejo Game Colors (VGC). At this point VMC has been my favorite paint. Like all paint lines, there is some inconsistancy as certain individual colors are better or worse. For example, I don't care for VMC white. I like Reaper Pro Paints, but I didn't love them. IMHO, they typically didn't have the smoothness of coverage and the pigment strenght of VMC. I strongly dislike GW paints.

So far, I really like Reaper Master paints. I haven't used them enough to say if I like them better than VMC, but they at least as good. I've had great results to date with them. I've acquire a good of these new Reaper Master paints and will be using them a lot over the next several weeks before making a final opinion. I've only know of a couple of paints that had issues, and Reaper has already reformulated these paints to fix the shortcoming. Anne, Reaper's pro painter, has been very dedicated in researching and designing the best paints feasible for the line and very quick to respond to feedback. If I had to purchase an entire collection of paints again today, I would buy mostly Reaper Masters with a few VMC's and VGC's for specific colors that I like that aren't made by Reaper yet.

The way Reaper has approached designing and producing these paints is superb. If they continue, I expect they will be the best hobby paints on the market. The head designer of these paint is a professional painter, she knows what painter need and want.

As I use more and more of these paints, I will probably write up a more detailed review.

To put it briefly, master paints are better. Here is a few things that the MSP's try to achieve:

1. Needs less thinning

2. Does not need much in the way of additives.

3. Thins while maintaining even coverage.

4. Has better quality pigments

5. Is smoother when dry.

6. Triad's make color selections easier.

7. The paint line is live and expanding, so you should expect to see more colors come out, and formulas for existing colors to get better.

I'm not an MSP fanboy or anything... ::D:

Vaitalla (Anne) could answer this much better than I, but I'll give it a shot.

What is the difference between the Pro Paint line and the Master? I looked around on the store but there are few details, other than I see different names for similar shades.

Well, like many other choices on the market, Our Master Series Paints are a water-soluable acrylic blend, clean up with soap and water and mix fine with most other paints of their type. It possesses an enhanced flow factor that makes it very easy to work with, ultra-smooth and ideal for precision and detail work. Its adhesion is much better than many other paints of its type, so it sticks to the mini better and resists rub-off. The paint consistancy is balanced, providing utility straight out of the bottle, but it also has good coverage when thinned for more advanced applications, such as layering. It works well without any additives at all, but is compatible with retarders and flow improvers. Reaper Master Series paints are even versatile enough to work well in airbrush applications!

Anne spent 2 years formulating the Master Series Paint line to have a thinner Consistency and better quality of paint and coverage. In regards to the Pro Paint line, they are thinner, requiring less extender and flow improver than our Pro's, and have been formulated in convenient triads for ease of blending, shading, highlighting, and mixing.

Our Pro paints feature a wider range of colors (although more MSP's are on the way) and generally have better one-coat coverage (not having been formulated with blending and layering in mind).

ok, I like what I'm hearing here so far. One last question for you guys. .. ((great feedback btw))

I'm just an amateur as far as painting goes. I don't paint regularly enough I suppose. ((binge painter)) These MSPaints seem tantalizing, but are they going to impede the work of someone who isn't versed or skilled in all of these shiny paint techniques I see used on a lot of minis from these forums and others? Is it possible for a paint to be more advanced than the painter? :P

I think the MSP can only help you improve. I know the Pros helped me improve considering I was using Testors and ancient Polly S paints before. Before I came here I knew nothing of layering, washing, glazing, or even that you needed to shade anything. Now I'm trying to improve my work, slow down, and take the time to learn the techniques.

Now, if you're not interested in learning how to get those wonderful, smooth blends, then the Pro paints are less expensive as an initial output and a good starter base. Must haves of those include Walnut, Linen White, Breonne Blue, Aged Red Brick, Hawkwood, and Oiled Leather (to name a few).

These MSPaints seem tantalizing, but are they going to impede the work of someone who isn't versed or skilled in all of these shiny paint techniques I see used on a lot of minis from these forums and others? Is it possible for a paint to be more advanced than the painter? :P

Not at all. Usually, cheap paint will hurt you more. That's kinda like asking if it's better to cut a turkey with a dull knife just because you aren't good at it. Poor tools will only limit you. I would never suggest to a beginner that they start with inadequate supplies just because they are a beginner. I've found that quality brushes and paints helped me improve and allowed me to better notice which shortcomings were mine and which were those caused by my supplies.

Generally, you should thin your paints at least a little, no matter whose you use. Use at least one part water to one part paint for base coats. This will help you get smoother coats and help prevent clogging the details of the mini up. But, Reaper master paints are a bit thinner than VMC and can be used straight out of the bottle. Not recommended, but you can. Just doing basic painting with no shading or highlighting or any advanced technique, you will find that these paints will cover better and be more durable than most other paints. They also have a little bit of flow aid mixed into them to help you along.

Cheap paints generally have rougher grain and weaker pigment. You might find that you needed 3 or 4 coats of cheap paint to do what you were able to do in 1 or 2 coats with Reaper. In the case of doing anything with GW red, at least 8 coats. <_<

well thank you all for the advice. I'm not sure if you're paid promoters or not, ((not i assume)):P, but the paints do sound good.

I'd highly recommend the MSP. I think they're a good choice for beginners because they are so easy to work with. You don't have to thin them as much as most other paints, and they're very very smooth.

They did freak me out a little when I started using them, but after I've gotten used to them; they are very easy to work with. They don't seem to break down when tinned, and they don't suffer from aggregation of pigment (or filler) like many other paints do when mixed with lots of water.

I do like the Pro Paints I own, but I prefer the masters, mainly because the pigment size seems smaller.

If I can shill for a product I like, you might want to check out the book at the top of this page. I've been painting off and on for quite a while now, and this if the first painting guide I ever picked up. It makes me wish it had been available years ago...

If I can shill for a product I like, you might want to check out the book at the top of this page. I've been painting off and on for quite a while now, and this if the first painting guide I ever picked up. It makes me wish it had been available years ago...

I'm going to disagree with you on this one.

Parts of it look like advertisement for Vallejo and Illyad miniatures.

The gallery section has no rhyme nor reason to it's organization. The photos aren't all the same size, and it's not organized by theme or company.

Several of the painting guides are for figures that are either limited edition or are not available in America.

It doesn't cover enough of the basics. Drybrushing and inking aren't defined.

It's a fair book but NOT for a person just starting.

As much as others may disagree with me, I think that Games Workshop book is fairly good for a brand new painter and heck, even the Warlord rulebook has some good bits about painting.

Darkson Designs has some great methods to it but once again, I'd say not for a starter.