Reaper Paints: Good?

Reaper is going to be putting out a painting book. Anne hasn't mentioned much about it in a while, but she has been working on it.

Thread where Anne talks about the guide.

Thread where Anne asks for input on what to put in the painting guide.

Doing a search under the Painting Tips and Advice forum for "painting guide" will yield a variety of results, but the above threads cover most of the guide.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Some of the Pro Paints I like but they do tend to skim in the bottle. I do not like the Master series Paints. All of the colors I bought are glossy not matte (but they claim this has been fixed). They have a strange gloppy character out of the bottle and unknown additives. My preference is to have a paint without additives that allows me to decide on the consistancy that I want. Since the Masters Series has been formulated to the requirements of specific painters they do not work the way I want my paints to work and they are resistant to use of some other additives. This may be a benefit to newer painters who lack experience in working with additives and extenders or painters who prefer to have this done for them. VMC is much better for my painting. Only trying a few bottles of Master Paints will really answer your question.

I'm a beginner. In my ancient past I've dabbled with Testors (grade school), Ral Partha and TSR (college) and now I've resumed my love of the craft with Reaper's Master Series. I read everything on every forum I could find, bought a few Vallejo and a few MSP and compared them. The Vallejo's seem kinda thick and sticky to me. Not having to be such a pro at thinning paints I really love working with the MSPs.

The go on so smooth, hold their color when I'm thinning. The colors are rich and yummy! I can't wait to pick up the next 18 that were just released!

i pick and choose... based on which company has the color i need..

im going to buy a few vallejo paint packs (earth tones and such), i still buy some GW stuff, ive got an order on hold to reaper for some pro stuff, AND a few triads of MSP, mainly because i like many options..lol

Most of the paints I have are the Pro Paints. The colors are nice but they tend to get thick and gloppy after a while, although a few colors seem to stay really runny to the point they don't need thining.

I have only a few MSP's that I actually won in a painting contest at my local gamestore. I have skin tones and bronzy colors. The paints are a little think but they go on beautifully and I haven't had any problems with them. I actually have the metallic copper MSP and it is beautiful. I tried it for the first time yesterday and was highly impressed.

I have not yet tried Vallejo paints but was thinking about trying them next time I run out of a particular color.

And to anyone who might be reading this thread . . . DO NOT USE CITADEL COLOURS! They are incredibly thick, the consistency of cookie batter. The person who got me into painting had only Citadel Colours, all of my beginning minis I have had to strip because the paint wasn't any good. It is too thick and gloppy and there is no saving it even if you thin it.

well thank you all for the advice. I'm not sure if you're paid promoters or not, ((not i assume)):P, but the paints do sound good.

All Of us who *are* paid to promote the company are employees - and you will find us by this Icon:

<-----------

Anybody else is a costomer/fanboy/fangirl/person with figmentia.

They are not that thick.

Prophet were you referring to Reaper paints or GW paints?

If you were referring to GW paints all of the ones I have used or bought have been very thick and not good to work with. That is my own experience. Maybe you got some better pots of GW paint . . . I dunno.

They are not that thick.

Prophet were you referring to Reaper paints or GW paints?

If you were referring to GW paints all of the ones I have used or bought have been very thick and not good to work with. That is my own experience. Maybe you got some better pots of GW paint . . . I dunno.

GW paints.

my first set of GW paints were thick, but they hadnt been used for 3 years.

the replacement pots i bought were in much better shape, and so were the paints themselves..

GW paints are fine for beginners, they CAN get a bit gloppy, but you'll notice that if you take the shaker out of the MSP/PP reaper paints it'll do the same..

GW paints dont have a shaker, i suggest either buying a sprue of the skulls reaper sells, or just buying a bunch of pro paint bottles..lol

I still use a lot of my GW paints, but I'm not sure I'll be replacing them when they dry out.

I don't think they are bad; they're just expensive, and there are better paints out there.

see, now thats what i find is interesting.. on GW's site, their paints are 2.50 for normal paint and 3.25 for metallics

where as on reaper the pro paints normal cost 2.49 (same with metallcs) the MSP stuff normal paints are 2.99 with metallics again being the same 2.99 price

so far with pro paints, reaper has em beat by $.01 on normal paints, and obviously beat on metals... but the MSP stuff actually costs more..lol

now im not one for bashing a company, or bashing people bashing a company, i just think people do need to understand that the price difference isnt what they think it is.

just an info smash.

now im not one for bashing a company, or bashing people bashing a company, i just think people do need to understand that the price difference isnt what they think it is.

GW: 12mL

Vallejo: 17mL

Coat d'Arms: 18mL

i-Kore: 18mL

Pro paint: Not sure, but a lot more than GW!

Master Paints: Probably around the same as Vallejo

nuff said ::):

The Reaper Pro-paint bottles contain nearly twice as much paint as the GW (Pro-Paint bottle 3/4 ounce=22 mL, GW is 12 mL).

Master Series paint is 1/2 ounce (15 mL) - so you get 25% more of a superior paint in a dropper bottle for a price less than GW metallics. Even at full retail, it's 25% more paint for 20% more price than the non-metallics (so a better value). Some online stores have Master series paints at $2.50 a bottle as well.