Reaper Paints: Good?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

well, see i think thats where im at a bit of an advantage, i buy from alot of different companies, that way im not stuck to just one color/set

I dunno... I own the complete set of GW paints, the complete set of i-Kore paints. the complete set of Reaper Master Paints, about half the Foundry paints and half the Pro Paints, as well as a good number of Vallejo and Coat d'arms. I also have a few paints from other companies (Ironwind Metals and some I don't remember). Honestly I don't use most of them. I have a few favorites from GW and i-Kore that I'll continue buying (actually I think the i-Kore stuff is OOP), but most of them I never use.... oh well ^_^

I am of the opinion that if you find paints that you like you should stick with that brand. This is not saying that you should buy only ONE brand of paints but you should look for colors you want/need for a figure from companies that have manufactured good paints before. As soon as I tried the Reaper paints I immediately felt the difference from GW and have stuck with them so far. That is mostly what my game store carries anyway.

you first say stick with one brand, then say not to...lmao

which is it?

by the way, no matter what reaper might say, or GW or vallejo, there is not a single brand of paints that can please everyone, or that can do everything..

which is why we all pick and choose

• Reaper User

Heya guys!!

Wow, I haven't gotten this much positive and negative feedback in ages--maybe I should have started this thread. ;) That said, we're not out to please everyone because it's impossible. The line still has issues--I won't deny it, heck, I went into this knowing next to nothing, and there's still a learning curve, for sure!! I do, however, read all of this stuff, and when I see a problem I check it out personally, which I think is something that you can't say of any other paint line. ::): I intend to keep improving MSP's based on feedback from all of you and from everyone else I meet at Cons and events and over email. I'm going to do my darnedest to help any of you who come on here with questions or complaints about the line. I think that's about all I can do!

Thank you all for your feedback, and please be as specific as possible about problems or issues, so I can experiment and try to find fixes. Thanks all!!! ::):

--Anne

Hey Anne, thanks for taking the time to read the thread. I personally like Reaper paints and find them very easy to work with. All of my paints save my black are Reaper Pro with a few bottles of Reaper Master. Out of all of the paints I have used they have the best consistency, mix well with water, inks and other paints. There is a good range of color available and your paints don't seem to dry out as quickly as . . . oh . . . say GW paints.

Keep up the great work!

I don't know yet, GE. I'm struggling with the MSPs. I think I got overused to the thinning of the Pro that I'm overthinning the MSPs. They behave differently, and that makes it difficult when I'm using both on the same mini. I add extender because I don't want them drying out too quickly (I'm slow... I didn't finish anything at ReaperCon and my husband finished eight!) but I'm having problems with ratios. I know, practice practice practice, and paint more. :rolleyes:

I just wish I had a solid block longer than 30 minutes to sit and paint. I have problems getting into the "groove" with such short slots.

I've never seen a paint so smooth unless it was made for glass, and the skin tones are beautiful (finally some that aren't orange or green in tint!!) and that Nightshade color is a must have. It has become my second Walnut.

Most people seem to get good results with 2:1 or 3:1 paint/water (or gunk/water) ratios. There's definitely a transition period, but once your brain gets used to it you'll never look back.

Especially now that I've almost bugged Anne into getting all the good Pro Paint colors out in MSP's (Walnut->Brown Liner complete, still plucking away at Oiled Leather and a true Aged Red Brick).

meh..lmao

either way, its not as horrible as you all make it out to be.

LOL,

I don't think it's horrible. I just don't want to pay more for lower quality ::):

I'm with Jenova on this one. There are a few colors that I continue to buy because I've been using them so long, I like to maintain a unified look amongst my models (Ie.. I started doing skeletons one way, I'm going to keep doing them that way).

I also haven't found any reds that I like as much as the GW reds - but that is just personal preference - and is also not to say I don't like any other reds.. just personal preference. I also really like the Graveyard Earth, Desert Yellow and Kommando Khaki. And I like to use scorched brown and dark flesh, with a highlight for a reddish leather color.

But I have found for the most part that I first reach for the Reaper Master Series of Vallejo model colors - depending on what I'm painting. I've also taken to painting my Imperial Guardsmen with the Muddy Olive and the olive highlight (which in my personal opinion is a bit too extreme of a change without being really thinned out, but works beautifully for armor and hard edges)

A good way to get people to switch is simply show someone the pricetag on a reaper bottle and a GW bottle, and then pour the GW paint into a dropper bottle. When people actually see it only fills half the bottle, and the prices are comperable - then they further understand the value. (Plus, they don't dry out as quickly in dropper bottles - and you can add a little bit of flow improver as you pour)

To me, the best paint to use is the one you like. I started out with craft paints, and I was happy (although a lousy painter.. also noone told me to prime the figures)... as I adapt and use new techniques, I find different paints fit my need and make me happy. I won't win any demons, but thats not why I paint.. I'm a gamer first and a painter second. I want to paint quickly to get my troops on the field and occasionally take some time to really do something nice as a change of pace. Right now the Reaper Master Series suit my needs perfectly because they are arranged in a triad and I don't need to think about mixing colors or what should I use as a highlight. The foundry paints are the same way - except they are hard for me to get, and I like supporting Reaper.

Thats just my rather lengthy $.02

PS - Amen on the keeping the craft paints. They work miracles for terrain projects. You should always have black, white and a bunch of earth tones on hand if you plan on doing any terrain projects.

Plus, they go on sale for $.25 a bottle at the craft stores quite a few times a year.