Assembling Minis

What's the best way to put a mini together that has wings that need to be glued in or a hand glued on?

I have been using JB Weld but that stuff doesn't work so well and I am starting to get frustrated with it.

What do y'all recommend?

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

quick steel might work, although it tends to be pretty messy... but then if you are using jb weld, you are used to things being messy..lol

i use quick steel to secure warlord figures to their base (and anything else that comes with a seperate base.)

you can get quick steel from walmart or othe rplaces, in just about the same place you got the jb weld.

I've never had any problems just pinning with a 20 guage steel wire and green stuff. I drill a hole just a little bigger than the 20 guage wire, then pack the hole with green stuff and push the pin in.

Also, I try to pin deeper than most folks I've seen. If I'm pinning on an arm, I'll drill half way to the elbow, and into the center of the chest.

Sometimes I put a drop of superglue on top of the green stuff when I join the 2 pieces together.

For wings, because of their weight, and the very likely chance that a topple of a figure could break them loose, I would absolutely recommend pinning them.

If there is nothing in the hand, you could probably get away with a daub of superglue and it shoudl be fine. If there is a weapon or shield, a pin job will do nothing but help the mini survive an accident.

Usually the only thing I do not pin are heads.

Pinning and greenstuff.

Although that one Deathsleet wing I did with pinning, ZapAGap, and Squadron Green putty (I thought Sandra Garrity would have a cow I used that junk) is still defying my efforts to remove it.

It's time for a soak in fingernail polish remover.

All very good suggestions. I have never seen a pinning job done though so I probably won't try that until I see it done. Will try other bonding agents though. I used green stuff on my eagle and it seems to be holding up pretty well.

Thanks again.

Pinning is really quite easy.

Pin vise, small needle, don't drill all the way through the model and into your hand.

I do this one of two ways:

In the case of something flush, like moose horns, I'll place the horns where they need to go, then drill straight through into the head. This will make certain the hole placement is perfect. A little greenstuff will quickly and easily cover up the hole.

In the case of wings where the above method is more difficult, I'll drill a hole in the body, place a clip of wire I'll be using (often a paperclip or broken needle) that just pokes out high enough, dab a tiny bit of paint on top of the wire, and place the second piece as needed. Lift off and there's where you need to drill. This method, however, may not always result in a perfectly straight drill line, but it works well enough that I haven't had any major problems.

Whichever method you use, then use superglue to pin the wire into the body, place greenstuff around the edge and center of the area to attach, then place the second piece on. Press hard together (greestuff will ooze out of the edges) and hold until both ends are well stuck. Remove the excess, oozed greenstuff and use to create a smooth transition that leaves no gaps or seams. This method came from the Grande Dame of sculpting Sandra Garrity. :wub: Come to ReaperCon and you can even meet and talk to this wonderful angel (yes, I'm a fangirl. I've been collecting her stuff since the early 80's... she was surprised I even had the second mini she ever sculpted).

Thanks for the instructions.

I am a fan of Sandras too. Most of the items I have bought and have on my wish list are sculpted by either Sandra or Werner. I like their style. Sandra has really nice looking female figures, they are more realistic, proportionally anyway. Werner seems to be really good with elves. He has the angle of the face just right, the nose and eyes are slightly elongated and almondish which is how I think an elf looks.

I would love to go to ReaperCon and meet both of them. I have only been RPGin' and painting for a year now and I have not yet made it to a convention. I am hoping to go to SoCal this November though.

I wouldn't try to 'glue' a mini together with only green struff. Green stuff won't bond to metal as well as certain other glues. It's okay to use in addition to other glues though.

For epoxy, I have Locktite two-part 5 minute epoxy. As with any epoxy, it's important for you to use equal portions of the two chemicals. Mix thoroughly. It is also very important that the two pieces are held totally immobile while the epoxy sets or else you won't get a solid bond. Once fully cured, the stuff is rock solid thought. You can use a clamp or maybe a little super glue in an area where there is no epoxy in order to keep the mini immobile while the expoxy sets.

Pinning is crucial to learn. Almost all my minis are pinned, especially large ones. It's really easier than it sound and I recommend you practice. Imagine it like this:

Let's say you have a straight leg and you cut it in half by the knee. Now you decide you want to put the pieces back together. Take a small hand drill called a pin vice and drill a hole on one piece that travels straight down (or up the leg). Do the same thing to the other piece. Take a thick wire or piece of a paper clip that is longer than either hole is deep. When you stick it either hole, half of the metal pin will be sticking up. Now you align both pieces to together and the pin in going through both holes. Your two pieces are now stable. Just put some glue in both drilled holes and on the metal surface and put togheter.

Just try it on some junk minis. You'll find it super easy. There isn't one right way to do it, just understand the basic principle. If you watch 10 modelers pin together a mini, you'll probably see 10 different approaches, but they'll all work fine. In my opinion, pinning is the most crucial technique to assembling multi-piece minis. On big minis, like a dragon, you'll find that the mini will not stay together under any stress without pinning. I've had cabin pressure from flying force super glue bonds apart on joints I didn't have pinned.

You can also drill with with a dremel or other power drill, but control if much more difficult. Although it takes longer, I'd recommend you drill by hand first before experimenting with power tools.

thats why i use quick steel, it comes in a premixed tube, you cut up a bit, mix it up, then start working it... course, be careful, because in its curing process it gets fairly hot to the touch (not hot enough to melt minis though)

it bonds extremely well to the warlord bases, and everything else ive used it for..lol

Cade thanks for that. I am running to the hardware store in a few minutes so I will try to find one a pin vice and try pinning something. Doesn't sound so bad.

Everyone on this forum is SUPER helpful. I am glad I signed up and decided to talk to people. I have gotten sooooo many useful tips.

Thanks to everyone!