Did an Experiment

Enchantra

I thought I would experiment with fake nails since I cannot grow my own worth two beanhills.

So far my conclusion is that I have no idea how women with longer nails can type on a computer or do fine detail work without some difficulty. Thankfully I used temporary glue with these things so I can remove them later without fuss.

I've always wondered how the women shopping at work with these long beautiful nails could pull off the work they do with scrapbooking and knitting, etc when their nails would interfere. So my experiment is to wear them for an afternoon and see how things work. So far I can only type at half my normal speed, and in doing laundry I already had to glue one nail back on.

How do the rest of you do it? I mean how do you cope with those nice long manicured nails? Sad thought is I have the shorter ones on.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry, Enchantra, but I wonder the same thing.

But they are used to it. It's kind of like the person who manages to cook with one arm, or my husband, who writes and plays music but is deaf in one ear. It becomes second nature to them.

Actually these aren't that long, maybe a little over a 1/4 inch, but it's to much for me and they are coming off later. I only bought the nails so I could dress up and look nice for dates/job interviews and that kind of thing. My regular nails won't grow to any length because they chip, tear, break and peel so badly it's not worth trying to make them grow.

I just took the things off, it's 10:30 at night. Oh man I'm happy those are off. Definitely not something I want to be doing on a regular basis.

Results of the experiment:

Typing is hard

Using a zipper in near impossible

Trying not to jam your fingers in the lid on the washing machine is almost impossible.

The temporary glue was a bit more permanent than the labeling says.

They look nice.

Painting/sculpting just doesn't work with them.

Cutting cheese was alright but a bit harder. Try gripping the cheese with one hand and not having your nails scrape up cheese.

The nails seem to collect all sorts of nasty stuff despite washing one's hands regularly with soap and water. Nail brushes become your best friend.

These are not something I'm wearing often, that's for sure.

There's someone in our school orchestra who has wicked long nails. No one can figure out how she's able to play.

There is a woman who works at a few of the Thruway Toll Booths who has these wicked long nails. They must be two inches long and she always has them done up in these blindingly wild colors. We all wonder how she can make change and count the cash correctly.

Enchantra, to stregthen your naisl you may want to take a vitamin called Biotin. Biotin is a B derivative that helps to 'feed' your nails the raw ingredients needed to help wiht growth.

Thanks MD.

I've actually done that though with no results.

I take a multivitamin every day that has biotin in it too and it still doesn't help. What is really weird is some seasons of the year my nails grow better and are stronger than other seasons.

No biggie. If I have a date (Laughs-yeah right) or a job interview I'll pop the fakes on, but otherwise they are staying off.

My mother is a secretary and has always kept a manicure, but she doesn't grow them horribly long. She could still type, but she had to hold her fingers in an un-natural way and wonders why she's getting arthritic.

What was funny was watching the other girl in her office who had really long nails trying to operate a rotary-dial telephone (remember those?). She had to use the eraser-end of a pencil to dial.

I don't see the fascination with long nails either, especially the sort that people pay twenty bucks a week to maintain.

What was funny was watching the other girl in her office who had really long nails trying to operate a rotary-dial telephone (remember those?). She had to use the eraser-end of a pencil to dial.

I've actually seen people do this, including a woman who walked into work one day and went to call someone on her cellphone and she had to use the pen in her pocket to dial it because her fingernails were so long. Oh brother.