Inspiration?

Enchantra

As an artist I look for inspiration everywhere I go. I view a gnarled tree root or a fallen log. I look at the patterns of growth in Moss, or that footprint in the mud, even the gears on the recieving door at work can bring to mind creative possiblities.

I draw my inspiration from so many varied sources, from the natural, to the un-natural. The eb and flow of life, or the pulsating of a beating heart in the chest of a person you love. All can be inspirational in different ways to different people.

Sometimes the mere play of color in the clouds in the sky is enough to spark inspiration.

So my question is fairly simple. What inspires you in your artwork? What gives you a fountain of ideas to work with when painting minis or working in other materails?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So my question is fairly simple. What inspires you in your artwork? What gives you a fountain of ideas to work with when painting minis or working in other materails?

Imagination. ::):

Allowing your mind to open up to all things, let it take you a direction and build a vision. To have fun, create and explore new possibilities all at the same time.

Once you achieve a vision... then it's up to your talents, abilities and needed reference to capture that vision in physical form. :B):

My art is my photography, though I'm really not creating anything that isn't already there. I'm just trying to make people see their world in a new light. I take photos of mundane things like the trees on my street whose roots are pushing up through the sidewalks, and then I write a caption about how they are angry ents getting roused up to march toward the defunct factory on my street and get their revenge. I like to encourage folks to think about the things they see every day in a different way; to find the irony or beauty that's hidden.

"I think it pisses God off when you walk by the color purple in a field and don't notice it." - Shug Avery, "The Color Purple" (1985)

Hmm.. Spike's answer seems to resonate a little with me.

I keep thinking of one of my own pieces of music when I paint. I already consider it the army's theme song. Somehow, getting it stuck in my head seems to influence paint colors and an overall feel for them.

I like the idea of making things loud and notable. Some of it seems to be my upbringing in the land of Alice Cooper and Iggy Pop. Aryanun has told me on a number of occasions not to "paint that mini like that." Sometimes I take her advice and sometimes I don't. Mostly I try to pick color schemes that get loud, but sometimes a theme for something that will get a reaction. There's one Mini that I'm sure will get a pretty good reaction when finished. Another idea has made Aryanun change colors just through its description and will never (dis)grace this board in any way.

What I'm reading at the time also motivates things. The Gauntfield I did at R-Con owes a lot to Stephen King's "Dark Tower" series, while the mini which offended Ary came at the tail end of many Clive Barker books.

I guess it's the same thing that pushes me musically overall. I like to get a little loud, but hopefully do so in a way that everyone involved can enjoy.

I was also pregnant at the time you were considering that one conversion. <_<

I will say that SD's style and mine are diametrically opposed. He likes things that stand out from the norm while I'm trying for something more realistic. You could say he's a little bit Glam Punk Electronic and I'm a little bit Southern Blues Rock. :blues:

Then again, I'm trying to improve and seem to be going backwards. <_<