Brushes for lining

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not a big lining person myself. When I do use the technique, I will paint the lines bigger than I want and then "paint down to size". So the size and brand doesn't matter that much; I just use the same brushes as always. More and more those are my Windsor Newton Series 7's.

I started out using a 20/0 Liner since it has a bit longer bristle and came to a sharp point. since Ive started gaining better brush control ive moved down to a 10/0 Liner and am now "trying" a 3/0 with Kolinsky sable. my style changes around a little on when I line and when I dont. Im trying to force myself to line after basecoating but before highlights and shadows.

Really the size of the brush you use depends on how well you can control a brush. Smaller brushes are more precise, but they hold less paint in the bristles and can take more force to create a line. Larger brushes hold more paint and can easily draw thin lines but too much force can cause large blotches.

I'd recommend lining first till you feel your brush control is up to speed, then doing it after you paint an area. I'm shifting over to the lining second crowd myself; doing it after coloration makes it crisper but doing it first lets me be messy and have my base coat clean it up.

I use nothing smaller than a 3/0 brush. I have a bunch of 15/0 and 10/0 brushes but I found they never held enough paint and it would dry before I could finish what I wanted. Most of my painting is done with a 2/0 and 0 size series-7. I have multiples of these size brushes. I think I have one (maybe two) 3/0 series-7. I also have a 1 and a 2 for painting bigger figures. When I do line (I don't do it often because I am not a huge fan), I use my 2/0 and many practice lines on paper before I set it to the mini.

I don't favor generalized lining but when I put the darkest shadows where they belong, Kolinsky Brushes with the longer points like the WN7, Da Vinci, Vallejo, etc in size 0 and 1 are my choice. The fine points and paint holding ability allow a continuous stroke.

Ok. Do you line before you paint then?

I'll paint the base coats, put in liner, then "paint down" as part of the process of adding later high-lights. This is the technique Jennifer Haley was teaching at GenCon last year (I still have my hand out). She puts a line of brown/black between the skin and areas like hair, cloth, and/or armor.

A judge at the Golden Demons at Atlanta last year pointed out tha the eye naturally creates an artificial line between areas of different color. Putting a subtle line between areas of different color creates the affect that the eye tries to "see", even if it isn't really there.

So lining emphasises what the eye would create for itself if it were looking at a real object.

Oh, and sometimes I'll use a wash or ink to create the lining, then add highlights again. Just whatever works/I feel like at the time.

Another technique is to start with a very dark base coat and leave a little of that showing on the edges, creating the line for you.

• Reaper User

The best liners I've used lately have been either the Reaper Kolinskies in the 5/0 size (I find they're a wee bit thinner than the W&N Series 7 00 which I used to use, which helps) or my time-honored but expensive favorite, the Davinci Maestro size 1 or 0. The Maestros are very thin, more like an actual "liner"--which is a classification of artists' brush shape--than a standard brush. But for price and ease of ordering I'm going to have to side with Reaper, and not just 'cuz they pay the rent. :;):

--Anne

Speaking of Liners, Anne, the liner colors are awesome. I really like the Brown Liner; it's almost identical to a mix I use. Got the recipie from Jarrett Lee, so I call it "Jarrett's Brown". It's a mix of Reaper Walnut, black and GW Snakebite Leather.

They probably thought I was a nut job at the local LGS when I saw the new colors and started chortelling with glee, saying "She's a genius!"

:)

• Reaper User
Speaking of Liners, Anne, the liner colors are awesome.  I really like the Brown Liner; it's almost identical to a mix I use.  Got the recipie from Jarrett Lee, so I call it "Jarrett's Brown".  It's a mix of Reaper Walnut, black and GW Snakebite Leather.

They probably thought I was a nut job at the local LGS when I saw the new colors and started chortelling with glee, saying "She's a genius!"

:)

Awww, thanks! :blush: The Brown Liner was a happy accident, I was aiming for a true Reaper Walnut match but hit this color instead and thought, "Wait a minute...that's cool!" Accidents like this actually happen a lot when I'm formulating, so it's good that I'm the one creating the colors--I can just toss my original concept with impunity and go with the one I just discovered! There are also a lot of colors I don't realize the utility of 'till they're done and I'm using them for the first time--for example, Ashen Blue (highlight for Templar Blue #9056) accidentally ended up being the *perfect* color for chrome sky-earth NMM. A terrible irony, and yet hilarious, because I can't stand chrome NMM! ::D:

--Anne

• Artists

Are there plans for a true walnut in the new line? I use walnut as a colour almost as much as I use it for lining, shading, etc. It's also my colour of choice for base rims on most landscape type bases.