Queston about detailing

wyrdlyng

Ok, I know this has probibially been asked like 10,000 times in the past but...I just started painting again, and as ive said before, it has been about 10 years..what im having problems with is black lining, specificially on hands and very small details, does anyone have any advice on what to use to apply the lines, ive been using a cut down toothpick..ack..lol Help please!

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sakura Pigma Micron Pen .01 Black. You can find them at any good art supply store.

Use the smallest point (listed above). If you find it to be too dark you can do a very thinned down layer of paint over it.

This is how some of the uberpainters manage to do things like tattooes on minis. (Micron Pen and thinned down layer of flesh color.)

Um, pens are good for details luike tatoos and outlining designs and such but for real darklining, there are several alternatives. It is obviously hard to get a pen in between the fingers and also hard to reach places so....

You could try a very thinned down wash. The trick here though is not to douse the area with your wash because you only want it in between the fingers or perhaps around a ncklace or something. You want to have a small amount on your brush and "coax" it to the places you want. This will avoid pooling and leaving rings or circles, espcially where you don't want them.

Another option, is to prime black (like me  :cool: ) and try to leave a thin line between details. This is difficult though and you will end up going back to reline half of it anyways...

A third option is to layer your painting with thinned down paints and perhaps start with the darkest shade and work highlights up so that the recesses and details are darklined and as they get sticking out further, they get lighter....

Pens ARE great for doing eyeballs though  :p

Glyn

The pens also come in a .005, which will do wonders for eyelashes. Now if my photography skills were better, I have a couple that I was able to put eyelashes on! Heck! I should get a picture of my lion! Didn't use pens on him, just a brush with maybe two hairs left on it. Maybe that will be my project for the day...I got two rolls of film.....

Lady Tam