Hair and Fur

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I start with drybrushing. Inks help a lot, I usually use GW brown (for brown), black (for black) or chestnut (for red or lighter brown). Unless you feel like individually highlighting strands of hair, I think drybrushing or washing is the only way to do it.

First, know your fur: Where the highlights should be (including where the muscles are beneath the fur), whether or not there is a striping, where the color divisions are.

A good thing to do when trying to get a good fur effect for the first time:

1. Basecoat thoroughly. Look at all of your recesses to ENSURE that there are no light-spots

2. Next, cover about 75% of the area with a highlight

3. Then 50%

4. Then 25%

5. Then 10%

6. Then 5 % (you should be near white by now

Use a sable brush.

Apply the paint in sideways / edge strokes

As you add each highlight, work your brush stroke more and more along the fur.

Initial brush strokes going down, but sideways...

Fur............................Brush

|||||||||||||||| --------====================

||||||||||||||

||||||||||||||||

Final brush strokes on highest highlight, pulling the brush down towards the tips of the fur.

Fur

||||||||||||||||

||||||||||||||

||||||||||||||||

Brush

|

|

|

|

H

H

H

H

H

H

H

H

H

H

H

H

I really need to find a better way than ascii art...

Make any sense?

Here's a really really really big example of 4 or 5 layers... me-forgets... just consider that the actual size of the badger is about 1 1/8" long from one end of the base to the other. I was showing how to do fur with two different colors... the green was easier to see, the brown for a natural example...

The other thing that one should remember is that the paint is damp/wet... Lemme know if the piccie helps or hinders...

Badgers, we don't need no stinking badgers (big pic)

That help any? 4 or 5 layers are a good start...

Ooops - I forgot to "color correct" in photoshop... now the piccie is a little brighter and it's easier to see the different brush strokes, no?

All brush strokes move down the fur... n'est ce pas? As the need for control increases, the brush hairs move from being 90 degrees perpendicular to in line with the direction of the fur

Bristles start here:

_

Then here:

\

Then here:

|

Yah, I'll do a brush piccie when I've got time (if Anne, John, or someone else hasn't swooped in by then)

Rgds,

I haven't done a lot of furry stuff, so you're on base Michael ::D:.

Your badger is actually a pretty darned good example of how to give a large area of fur volume; I could whip something together but why bother when yours is fantabulous?

If that's the same one I saw in person maybe another pic that wasn't directly overhead would be good, like maybe elevated fortyfive degrees and swiveled to both sides.

There, that's my $0.02. Anne's turn!

Okee - insomnia is winning out - here's two more pics... and one even has the brush angles I'm talking about....

Oooops on the hair suggestions - will either have to get to it tomorrow or Anne will beat me to it... Similar concepts to fur, but different application... Look at the painted showcase and you'll see 3 examples of lysette that may help? I'm putting the links at the bottom of this message:

badgerfur_isometric_brown.JPG

and

badgerfur_isometric_green.JPG

Derek's Lysette

Jen's Lysette

Lili's Lysette

Very useful indeed! I love furry things, but have felt way challenged as I really don't like Drybrushing.

Any idea what mini that is? Is it the one from the Familiar Pack 2593, I can't tell for sure? I'm looking for some Badgers to do up for a friend's Druid. Especially, Dire Badgers and the like.