Small Troops (more activation) or Larger

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I find myself building mainly mid sized lists of 6-8 figures. I'll usually have two units this size and then one hammer force of nearly full size. We play a lot of objectives so the variety helps determine what each troop will attempt to accomplish.

I haven't tried small units, but it might be effective.

Skipper

I have tried both versions in my armies. I have found that a couple of decent sized units (around 6 models or so) and a decent solo work well. I usually play Dwarves, so my solo is the bear rider. Put on a couple of magic items, and he's REALLY tough. I usally also include a unit of hand-to-hand guys with a musician and a unit of some piercers.

I do occasionally take three units with no solos. If I do that, then I have a cleric or a mage or something. It depends on if I'm feeling saucy or not. :lol:

Wild Bill :blues:

I have tried both the "all troops maxed out" and the "all troops at minimum" and found that, with the lists I was using, The 10-15 extra points for a sgt, and usually the 20+ points for the inevitable captain, By the time I was done, my "all troops at minimum" had fewer models than the maxed out version, and only got 2-3 more activations.

It also failed to perform as well, being unable to effectively overrun any of my opponent's maxed troops. His troops of 10-12 would swarm my tiny troop of 4-5 and wipe it out in one card, costing me a card and 5 men.

I like the idea of max or near-max troops and solos with 4 or 5 DT's. It has served me best, although it it is never a sure thing.

Stoopid avatars.

If they're so stupid how come you focus every attack you have on one until it's dead?

And I seem to recall one Avatar chasing 3 of your archers across a table dukes-of-hazard style one day . . . and eventually catching up to you *despite* the Avatar's MOV being 1" slower than your elvies, and you . . oh . . DYING!!!!

Silly Elvish Impersonators!

That Bear Rider is just plain BRUTAL.

High MD, DV and 3 attacks with Warmaster.

I don't like him one bit... :poke:

I believe that Thorvald only has 2 attacks. But, I'll give him Improved Protection (+1 DV and Deflect) and a Moderate Magic Weapon (+2 MAV). I think one time I'm going to have to give him Greater Magic Weapon (+2 MAV and +1 # MA), if I remember what it does correctly. THEN he'll have 3 attacks. Beware the ticked off Teddy Ruxpin!! :lol:

By the way, I have found that for Dwarves to have the best synergy a unit of 6 (including leader/elites) is the best. For proof, I point to the tournament I ran on Saturday. The kid that won was playing with my Dwarven army. It had a captain, Margara, 4 warriors in one troop; sgt and 5 piercers; and sgt and 5 swiftaxes in the third troop. He won twice and drew on the third scenario. Not too shabby!

I'm going to have to give him Greater Magic Weapon (+2 MAV and +1 # MA),

BTW , how do you find using such an expensive item ? :blink:

Is it worth it ? :blink::blink:

I've played against it (a friend uses it for Elsabeth Briarkiss) , and I've beaten him 4 for 4 . :lol: I just don't like putting that many points into something .

The only person you can possibly put it on is a warlord, and I generally find that multiple weaker upgrades are better. An extra attack is nice, but the survivability to make all your regular attacks longer is better.

Some other oddball ones: Greater Magical Empowerment (+2CP, +1MAV). How useless is that? Half the mages in the game can't really use the MAV upgrade, so you have to give it to someone like Ardynn. Plus, there isn't one without the MAV upgrade, so if you want +2CP, you have to take it. I forget what the divine version gives you, but it's similar (Greater Magical Protection, I think...+2MD and +1 something else. maybe DV)

Yagun Oog doesn't step foot on the field without Greater Magical Empowerment. When you have a CP of 7, that +2, makes anything with an MD 10 (most grunt models) drop without even needing to roll the dice. You can't beat that.

Being able to wade into combat with the enhanced MAV once you're out of spells is not a bad thing either.

Add Improved protection, and you're good to go.

I haven't tried the bear yet. I think snorri is more fun/better. (first pick is Griffon for solos).

If the bear had 3 attacks I'd definately try him out sooner than this.

And you can't give him the Greater Weapon - it's only allowed on leaders and elites.

(and to answer the original question: I like playing with more activations than my enemy - there comes a point where units are too small - but I haven't found that point yet).

Last Saturday, we ran a tournament at our FLGS. The kid that won was playing my Dwarves and had 3 units, all with 6 models. The guy that took second place was playing Elves. If I remember right, he also had 3 units, but one unit was Death Seekers and pretty small. Like 4 models. Then had a unit of warriors with like 5, maybe 6 models. Then the third unit was all archers. Like 6 of them plus the leader. The Death Seekers didn't do much. The archer units were winning him the game.

I was playing a Reptus/Dwarf mix. I had a unit with 11 models, a unit with 6, and the bear rider. The bear rider never got hurt in three games, and almost all of my soldiers died in like every game. I was shocked. I thought the Reptus Skull Breakers would have survived longer than they did.

So, what's the best size for troops? I think it is army specific. Some armies probably do better with bigger units, while others can survive with small ones.