The difference a year can make, pt 2.

Kelcore

So, inspired by the difference between my new Halabard and old, I decided to give my old favorite a shot. I figured: "what the hell? It's not like I could do worse, right?" So, armed with a whole slew of MSP's after Reapercon, I went to work (actually, I started at Reapercon, and then took it REAL slow). Here's the result. Comments, Questions, Critisisms, and thrown rocks are, as always, welcome.

post-4-1118795018.jpg

• Like 1

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And, as with Halbarad, last years Duke with this years'. Once upon a time, the old one was the very best I had to offer. Ah...foolish pride...

It's been one helluva journey from this year to last though. I've learned alot. Especially by just hanging out here on the MB, and going and observing stuff at Reapercon. Maybe next year I'll do a lil' better in the Masters'! ::P:

post-4-1118794357.jpg

Hmm... Honestly, I like the old one more. The new one is obviously more technically impressive and both are way better than I could hope for, but your first try has a darker more grim feel to it. I think that fits the persona more and in general I prefer that myself. Still, both are excellent and the new work is absolutely professional! I need to get in on some of these classes...

Heh, wish I had time to repaint figures. I find myself just trying to finish what I have!

I have to say, I really like them both, but the new one is ohh laa la. I am sure the differences are much more stark in person.

Oh man, M@, the differences are very, very clear in person. Sure, the old one looks "darker, more grim" in the picture, but in person, he also looks sloppy, and half-arsed. At least compared to the new one. Don't get me wrong, there's still a place in my shrivled lil heart for the old one. He was a major achievment for me at the time. But I really wanted to push myself this time. And I can't think of a better model for anyone to push themselves with.

Doombringer  Posted on Jun 14 2005, 11:01 PM

awesome work Kelcore.

feel free to send the old one my way... biggrin.gif

Heh...keep your eyes peeled for it on a certain website that does auction-y type stuff... :poke:

Spartan6  Posted on Jun 14 2005, 11:12 PM

I like your new one better too. smile.gif *Insert nice words about Kelly's mini here*

Thanks Chris!

VelveteenRabbit  Posted on Jun 15 2005, 01:53 AM

Hmm... Honestly, I like the old one more. The new one is obviously more technically impressive and both are way better than I could hope for, but your first try has a darker more grim feel to it. I think that fits the persona more and in general I prefer that myself. Still, both are excellent and the new work is absolutely professional! I need to get in on some of these classes...

Heh, wish I had time to repaint figures. I find myself just trying to finish what I have!

Believe you me, I have a massive amount of backlogged minis to paint! LOL.

And you're cerrtainly welcome to like whichever one you chose! Like I said to Digital M@ earlier though, the camera's pretty forgiving to the old one. In person, "Dark and Gritty" looks more like "Dark & Sloppy! :lol:

Thanks for the compliments on both of 'em, Velveteen! And, wouldja believe that I didn't take any classes? There are, however, lots of minis on display @ Reapercon. Sometimes, simple observation can be the best teacher...

twiztidjuggalo78  Posted on Jun 15 2005, 02:09 AM

the newest one looks way better in terms of the armor and freehand stuff but I personally like the more stark contrasts in the skin tones of your first one. if you could swap out the heads of the two!!!! WOO HOO a perfect 10 IMO!!!

See, for me, the old one's head and face in particular looks squished in and rough. I like the smoothness of the new one's skintones. Thanks for the compliments, Twiztid!

Jhulae  Posted on Jun 15 2005, 02:27 AM

I think both look great.

Thanks!

Mourningcloud  Posted on Jun 15 2005, 03:36 AM

dude, im going to shamelessly plug you for info. what color did you use on the armor of the new duke gerard? it almost has a kind of brown-silver tint to it.

tell us a secret smeagol...

P.S. it looks amazing!!

Hmmm...must be the lighting. No browns were used in the armor. As far as colors I used: The new MSP Neaytral Grey triad. It's awesome. And quite possibly my new favorite color triad in the series! It was base coated with Cloudy Grey, then I layered up with Misty grey to Pure White in areas. And then shaded with Stormy Grey. If things need to be a tad darker, I used a mix of Stormy Grey and Grey Liner.

Really nice job. Very smooth. Love the NMM. I can see the difference a year can make... looking forward to working this year on my style.. hope I can get where you are.

I love his hair.. that really screamed out to me.... I don't know why... and don't look at me so funny like that... grin