Sign in to follow this  
Enchantra

It's Wedding Season

A good friend of mine used to run a bridal shop. She's got some incredible stories.

I also can't belevie women are more intersted in having a huge wedding then a solid down payment on a house, but I'm practical that way.

Wow a string tie, they're for real special occasions. Really around here what you describe is seen in many formal/semi-formal funtions. We see more string ties at the company christmas party(and its a "tie and jacket" affair) than the other types.

I was involved in the entire aspect of planning my wedding. . .

I was involved in as much as I wanted to be. I went along when she picked out the dresses for her bridesmaids, and actually got to make decisions about the dress style and color. As I told her then, and still believe now. She had been dreaming of that day since she was 6. I wasn't going to become a barrier to what she dreamed of. I gave my input when asked, or felt it was important and then let her decide. Yes Dear was very commonly said, because unless I really didn't like something, I wasn't going to say anything about it. I actually selected our invitations. I was responsible for the entire menu planning (get a place that does not charge highest plate prevails, or an extra fee for each option - we had 5 meal choices). We both picked out the cake. The dress was a non issue. It was the dress her mother made when she got married, and it was altered by her sister when she got married, and Mary added her own bit to it. When the first niece gets married, if the dress is still intact, will be offered to her. We made our favors - wind chimes. I went to the florist and participated in the arrangements and bouquet selections.

It was very annoying honestly to hear "Wow, how'd you get your fiancee to come along?" everywhere I went. It was pretty simple. She asked. :huh:

Guys, be involved, just don't become obstructionist. Give input when it matters to you.

I gave input on some things - we chose colors together, she chose the cake style (she had decoarted cakes for years, and I only cared about the flavor), I chose my tux and she her dress/bridesmaids dresses, we both made the floating candles, etc.

I did make it clear early on that, for many thingas, I had no honest opinion - but that I would not hold back from putting in my $.02 worth if I disliked something or very much wanted something else.

I was largely responsible for the choice of photographer and invitations. At the bridal fair we attended, we chose the one photographer who talked to both of us - we left others in the middle of their schpiel when it became obvious that they didn't want to talk to, or listen to, me. The invitations was less direct - I simply tossed every invitation catalogue that started with "Dear bride-to-be, it's your special day" (and sent them a letter telling them how they had lost our business.)

We had a pretty simple wedding. My parents paid for pretty much everything. The ceremony was pretty casual. Wedding party and guests were dressed well, but not formal.I tried to keep it at a reasonable price, as my parents are not rich. My (now ex) husband said he would abide by my choices. Read : Please leave me out of all that crap. It was a nice wedding.

Our wedding "reception" was so on-the-cheap it's amazing. My mother was (and still is to a degree) a caterer, and my whole family knows all the ins and outs of fancy-schmancy foods, so I spent a fair part of the week prior to my own wedding helping out in the kitchen.

But that's not the funniest thing I had to do. My sister and her husband had only owned the farm for about a year and a half, so there was alot of fixing-up to be done. I spent the day before my wedding painting her barn, and the night before my wedding washing my hair with kerosene to get the green paint out.

Hmmm ..yep.. shouldda eloped. Yep. Uh-huh. ::D:

Odd themed weddings I've been to (or heard about)? Where to start? With my hubby's job, we know some real "interesting" people, so we've been to an 1827 military wedding (men in party in 1827 soldiers uniforms, women in 1827 high fashion), an 'historically' themed wedding (come in whatever period outfit you want). The reception was interesting. Everyone was supposed to bring a picnic dinner to trade in lieu of bringing a wedding gift. MANY WWII or Civil War weddings (the REALLY scary ones that I WON'T attend are the WWII German weddings) Scottish clan tartan wedding. And to top it all off, Robert Jordan's wheel of Time themed weddings.

All of which really makes me appreciate my own. I took a page out of my mom's book from her second wedding. We went to a justice of the peace and neglected to tell anyone. One day we just stopped refering to each other as "fiancee" and started using "husband" and "wife". We still haven't told anyone when we were married and I never changed my name. Reason we did it like that? I wanted a motorcycle instead of a ring and a house instead of a wedding. We got a REALLY cool hack rig (has a side-car) and a down payment on a house that lets us pay less than we did in our apartment.

And to top it all off, Robert Jordan's wheel of Time themed weddings.

Did that wedding ever end, or is it still going endlessly over parts of the ceremony discussed in the first 4 parts, and new portions of the ceremony are being added on just to further pad the JP/Minister/Priest/Rabbi/etc's pockets?

And to top it all off, Robert Jordan's wheel of Time themed weddings.

Did that wedding ever end, or is it still going endlessly over parts of the ceremony discussed in the first 4 parts, and new portions of the ceremony are being added on just to further pad the JP/Minister/Priest/Rabbi/etc's pockets?

Plus, the women need to be tugging on their braids, and the men and women must always misinterpret the words and/or deeds of the opposite gender, and the groom has to be mopey and whiney.

Despite your statement, it's really more a case that each bride has her own style.  It's not just a case of men being less concerned with the minutiae, but that roughly 27 seconds after the proposal, the bride-elect whips out thirty five wedding manuals, each with 674 pages (titled Brides, Modern Bride, Bridezilla, Groom? What Groom? etc) and starts saying things like "I was thinking of going with a peach and lavender theme, with floating candles in the centerpieces."

Hrm..

You know oddly I must be really strange then, because I haven't been planning anything about a wedding since I was in-utero. In fact I've never put any thought to a wedding at all except that I want it SMALL. This might be due to the fact that I feel I'll never get married since it seems I cannot find a guy who isn't a complete schmuck to date locally. I don't care about what the colors are or who to invite etc. In my opinion the person I marry needs to be involved with that anyways, afterall, He would be getting married too and therefore he needs to have involvement in the decision making. This isn't a one-sided extravaganza.

Yes I do own one of those magazines, but I own it solely to cut pictures from for making collage. I'm weird that way. I see a magazine with good pictures and if I can use the pictures in collage I'll grab it. The paper rolled up also makes good beads when coated with water-based polyurethane.

How about a biker themed wedding? Long hair wigs (if needed), leather and ripped jeans, bandanas, shades, tattoos (real or fake). They make bicycles that look like real choppers and they aren't that expensive. I got one for my son from Wal-Mart for about 100 bucks.

Just picture it: Everyone in the wedding party is riding West Coast Chopper style pedal bikes and wearing leather chaps, vests, etc. That would be fun.

I was in a wedding that was a "real" biker wedding. Meaning that everyone in the wedding party rode a Harley. It was pretty cool. We even wore our colors and the procession from the church to the reception was one of the loudest some of the towns had ever heard! (we had to ride 50 miles from the church to the reception). It was totally cool!

I saw a video once of a cowboy themed wedding and when the minister said "does anyone object?" some guy stood up and the best man shot him. :lol:

I saw a video once of a cowboy themed wedding and when the minister said "does anyone object?" some guy stood up and the best man shot him. :lol:

It must have been in Texas . . .