Sign in to follow this  
Wumby

Any tips on painting eyes?

So true, Brooding Paladin, so true.  Last night, I compared the dwarf I just finished to one that I did when I first started painting.  The comparison is quite hilarious, which shows me that practice does make you better.

BTW--Just received my pens.  Ordered them two days ago and now I have them!  Thanks for all the advice.

Here's how I do it.

1. paint the face

2. Wash the face

3. Highlight the face

4. Paint the eyes white

5. Paint colored irises

6. Realize I got iris color on cheek...paint face again...

7. Painting face gets flesh color into eyes...redo eyes white again

8. Got white on cheek...errghh...paint face again......

9.  Ack!!!! painted over eyes again!   Do over eyes yet again.

10. After carefully seperating eye color from cheek color i repaint the iris color

11. Get paint on cheek again....&$#$^$%^$%&......throw fig on ground and stomp promptly

12. Strip paint from fig, bend limbs back into correct position....begin alllllllll over again...with a sigh.

Maybe I'll just get one of those pens for myself.

those pens are nice for some details. although i had 1 dry up on me as i was painting and it ended up scratching the paint right off where i tried to draw. so... before you touch the mini with the pen scribble on some paper (every time)to make sure its flowing.

Grithwa--Are you sure that you aren't really a split personality of myself?  Our techniques actually resemble each other closely, the only thing is, I haven't yet stomped on a mini.  I have thrown it down quite hard on the concrete, and hammered it beyond recognition.  Then I realized, I liked that one and I'll have to buy another.  Such is life.  Then again, no one I know has tried to paint minis, so eyes or no eyes, they like it anyway.  (I want eyes though)

CMV--I read somewhere on these pages where it's a good idea to put tape on the caps to cover up the holes and that will increase the life of the pens.  I'm sorry I can't credit that to whoever wrote it, but it isn't an original statement of mine.

Hey, all I can say is that it's sometimes hard to paint eyes when your painting hand continually shakes.  I get that nervous twitch in my wrist and my hand goes spastic on me.  I guess for a shaky hand I do all right painting eyes....sometimes I'll even use the tip of a needle (with a tiny speck of paint) to dot my eyes.

The best way I have found id to paint the eyes first and then when you basecoat the face, make sure to leave an outline around the eye socket in black.  this is much easier than painting the face first and then trying to do the eye after.

Grithwa

Rolling on ground wiping tears from eyes, boy do I identifie with that.

The eyes are the part of the mini were you need godlike patience.

At first when I did eyes they got to big and that caused them to be stary looking. I decreased the size of my eyes and now they look better, I also now line my eye with dark brown instead of black. Lining the eye is also important to make the eye more alive.

Trick that I use that may not work for evryone. I use a cut back 10/0 brush i get at wallmart costs $2. When I have used it a little I take a small pair of scissors and cut very carefully around the brush untill you got a very tiny brush its all but 12 to twenty hairs left together, I dont want to butcher a brand new brush. It might take a few tries untill you get the perfect eye brush. This way you can use it to dot they eye in and then decrese the iris or increse it untill both eyes are centerd and the same size.

This works pretty darn well. I also want to try this trick with the pen just have to get around to hobby lobby one these days and see if I can find it.

Cheers

It turns out that I really like to use the pens for the irises.  How do you go about lining the outer edges of the eyes?  I have tried it by flesh painting the entire face, then use a flesh wash over it, and attempt not to paint the entire socket to leave an outline.  Any additional help would be appreciated.

In lining the eye this is how do it.

First I paint the the eye white, some eyes are so tiny that  enlarge the white around the eye so I have something to work with.

Then I use wallnut brown I take my small brush and I paint one line between the eye lid and the eye and another one on the bottom around it I dont worry to much about the thikness of the line right now.

Then I paint in the iris and adjust it until I feel like the eyes are centered. I sometimes have to go back to the white when the black iris gets to big. Thei is when I use my cut brush. Anyhoo when the eye is done I do the face. When I give the face its first highlight I shrink back the wallnut eye liner untill there is only a thin line left defining the eye.

I paint the entire face burnt umber, do white for the eyes, then the irises, then the pupils.  You can do it all with a 10/0 brush if you're careful and the cats are in the other room.  Then I do the skin.

Let me check to see that I'm understanding you two.  

1--Paint the entire face a flesh color.

2--Paint the white of the eye.

3--Take a fine tipped brush and "draw" a line of paint around the white.

4--Then paint the iris...

I generally use a wash on the flesh.  Would you recommend that after painting the face, I do my wash.  Then proceed with 2-4?

I tried this on my latest. It's easier than lining the eye and gives really good results.

1-Paint the eye socket brown (I use GW Bestial Brown)

2-Paint the face in flesh tone

3-Paint the eyeball white, but leave a thin line of brown.

4-dot the iris with your Micron

Using brown suits better than black, because it belnds in nicely with the recesses and shading of the face. Even if it is stronger than your darkest shade, it still looks good.

I tried lining too, but this requires that all the other steps are done, and I ended up messing stuff more often than not. This technique forced me to modify my painting order, but it was worth it!