Sign in to follow this  
Darkstar

Cirdan, High Elf Wizard

Cirdan002.jpg

Cirdan003.jpg

Just a bombastic sculpt, one of my all time favorites from Reaper. The face just blew me away, great job Tim Prow!

Painted him up in more of a druid fashion than a wizard because that's how this guy started to strike me as I was painting him. Lots of groovy crystalline freehand to try and symbolize his ties to the arcane nature magics. His staff wasn't very ornate with just a crystal power focus, so I decided that would tie in well with his druid look.

I was terrified of the detailed engraved leather patch thing on his back and the fringe of his cloak when I was prepping this guy for paint. That kind of stuff makes me have "fringe cringe" and I've been know to just straight up file that kind of stuff off of minis before painting them. It was easier than I thought, maybe I'm just getting better brush control, but I'm not unhappy with the results, very appealing in the end and I'm glad I decided to paint them, not file them off.

• Like 1

Wow... you were worried aboutthe back piece when you have FANTASTIC freehand!! :)

I think you did wonderfully on them both!! nicely done.. there is not much I can say to critique it as it is a beautiful piece all around! :)

The only thing that I would critque is the colors.. they are a little bright for me is all.. not the choice I would ahve used but they still work well with the piece too :)

That is positively beautiful Dark. I also agree about the sculpt, one of the best (if not the best) wizards sculpts I have seen.

Fallen

I Like it alot!

While bright, I like the south-american color scheme... though I would've kept the solid brown/rust on the cuffs vs using a brown/rust line with white inside. The gold and the filligree/leather/patch stuff are similar in intensity... but it doesn't detract to me.

The crystals color doesn't feel like it's in harmony with the rest of the colors, but I do thigs like that on purpose to draw attention, so yer not catching me complaining (just making mental notes)

The only real suggestion/query I have is the red freehand on the tabard: It looks like it has not had an equal amount of highlighting in comparison to the other parts of the mini. Maybe it's that everything else has a "lined" feeling (whether or not it's lined)... Seems like it's kind of inconsistent.

Of course, pictures do things to minis.... I'd be proud if *I* had painted this

Good stuff,

Thanks guys :poke: .

ixminis mentioned some comments, thanks for that, always interested in hearing opinions. Regarding the reds not being highlighted enough, they are, they're just red which as we all know is a total pig to photograph right. Even after developing my skills to get images this clear and being a long time Desktop Publisher, I still have issues getting red to come out as it appears in RL. Looks fine on the mini itself though. Thanks again for your FB.

Work has made me numb... it took me 3 hours to realize that FB ='d feedback... wow... I'm really really out of it today. Glad to provide feedback, hope it didn't sound harsh - it was all opinion and very little substance! :huh:

I've always liked your style and interpretations...

Work has made me numb... it took me 3 hours to realize that FB ='d feedback... wow... I'm really really out of it today. Glad to provide feedback, hope it didn't sound harsh - it was all opinion and very little substance! :huh:

I've always liked your style and interpretations...

Didn't sound harsh at all, I always welcome any and all critiques, it's one of the main reasons I post these. Alot of times I've gone back and changed minis that were "complete" due to a valuable insight that someone had brought up that I overlooked.

It's like having several hundred different sets of eyes. :wow:

After staring at these guys for 8+hours at a time, I can become sort of snow blind and not see the obvious. Reds are a thorn in my side though that they don't jump as much in the photo as in Real Life. This weekend I plan on spending some time tweaking my photo skills to see if I can get it once and for all.