Sign in to follow this  
ladystorm

Paints, reaper and others.

OK, in a pique of sudden influxing cash (read: New Job), I picked up the GW Mega Paint Set. it's a great set, lots of colors, and the like. But I would like to hear other people's shoutouts about the Pro Paint Line (carried by the Great and Powerful here at Reaper) and the oft vaunted Vallejo Paints. I'm intrigued by both, but would like to hear peoples opinions and/or RL use of them.

Both the good and the bad, best to know what I'm getting into.

--colorfully here

--lstormhammer

Some colors are good, some are bad, some need to be watered down a lot, some little. Whatever brand, color, batch of paint you get, it seems like it'll be different.

With that note, I'll say Vallejo paints have very good coverage even with thin coats. But I'm not a pro. So I'm perfectly happy with any paint I can get, Citadel, Pro paint, Vallejo, doesn't matter to me that much. And in any brand, you somtimes get the bad batch, which I guess can't be helped. For example the vallejo white I bought doesn't seem to go smoothly, it has some particles in it that don't seem to dissolve. And my Citadel bleached bone is very dense.

My one complaint is that none but vallejo seem to have enough pastel colors. Citadels are notoriously bright. And Pro Paints are somewhere in between.

Well... That's my opinion on paints as an amateur painter who can sometimes paint between the lines. :p

Thanks for the info, Mengu.

I appears those qualities are always prevelant in any paint you get (though from what I hear, Vallejo paints walk on water, feed the masses with loaves and fishes, and heal lepers on a regular basis). I do like the Citidels I have, and I'd love to try out the Vallejo and the Pro Paints.

--lstormhammer

We haven't yet tried the Vallejo line.

We do not like the packaging on the Citadel line.  The caps don't seal tight and the paints end up a jar of goo.  Leakage happens with these more than any others we've tried.

We are currently favoring ProPaints.  The teens (Stormus, et al) really dig the (severed head?) mixing balls in the bottoms of them.

They seem to cover well, and blend fine.  Of course we are not a family of painters, just people who paint for fun.  Our expectations are likely to be lower than more serious painters.

Get a good set of brushes.  That is probably an entirely different thread topic.  We spend a bit more after researching people favorites and have a couple of sweet brushes that make all the difference.  I also use a very fine tipped artist's pen to write/paint on stuff like runes in a book, embroidery on cloaks, tatoos on flesh.  That is fun.

Fun, that's the key.

cbs

Mmm. Severed heads...

Yea, I'll give the Pro Paints a shot, I've heard good things about them.

As for Citidel's switch: BLECH!

Actually, the 'flip top' style were good, and I've heard rumors they're going back to that style, once their contract with whatever chimp-run operation makes the twist-top bottles runs out.

--that, and Pro Paints have Metallic Green, a color sadly missing in Citidel.

I'll post my comments on brushes in a new topic.

--lstormhammer

Yea, GW are changing paint pots back to a similar type as the last bunch, with a more reinforced hinge, and a redesigned lid/lip interface (I swear, that's what it says, really!:p  ) and somewhat soonish too, from what I hear.... I have had the distinct pleasure of using most of the paint ranges out there, from the old "colour drop" up to the new pro paints, and it's have to say it's very much a personal choice.... I was taught to paint with Citadel paints, so I know them best, and I feel most competent with them.... But my best friend thinks the pro-paint range is his muse... so my advice is try what you can, and use what you like.... Just don't fall into the trap of the " perfect paint" holy grail...if you can't find a range, use the best of what you can...

I started using acrylics with Ral Partha paints (I really started with Testor's paints, ugh) and still uses them to this day but with the years I picked colors that interested me from almost every lines.

I also buy paint from small craft stores, like DecoArt's Crafter's Acrylic (http://www.decoart.com/) and recently from Iron Wind Metals' paints (http://www.ironwindmetals.com/).

I personally like Pro Paints, they have a nice variety and are easy to use. The containers are also way better than the new Citadel... er... things. BLECH indeed! † :laugh:

(I hope I didn't break a forum rule by posting business links).

No need to wait for Citadel/GW to switch back - I've been using 'Coat d'arms' range (made by HMG Paints), which use the same supplier AND same flip-top lid containers (with original lip/lid interface!:;): ) as the old Citadel range, before they went to the Bolter Shells and the French supplier. Again, not all the paints I've had have been great - their Leather Brown is way too thin, for example but I'f you're pining for old Citadel, you might want to give them a try. The only US stockist I know of is Brookhurst Hobbies in Garden Grove, CA but the manufacturers website is Gladiator Games

They're not the only paint I use - I also use Citadel (except their yellows which are like washes), some old Humbrols and a range simply called 'Miniature Paints' who do a great 'Coffee', creamy off-white colour, great for basecoating white robes (or, the way my dicerolling goes, white flags...............)

I also buy paint from small craft stores, like DecoArt's Crafter's Acrylic and recently from Iron Wind Metals' paints

Our experience with these craft style paints is they don't stay on the mini.  Once dried and varnished, they are the first to flake off with handling.  Some were perpetually flaking off befroe the minis were even finished.  They were inexpensive and had great variety, but as a family who handles their minis often, they can't be used often.

We found some of the old citadel washes in a clearance bin (woohoo), and do like those old bottles.

Good Point, M'Lady Storm.

I handle my minis a lot. I mean, a LOT. I do hold them by the base if I'm showing off something, but during the game I just grab it willy-nilly and place it where I need to. (word of advise, don't try to Antique your miniature with Vanilla Coke, it will only bring you tears)

I'll have to see about these other, new names in the painting biz.

Thanks again!

--lstormhammer

--look, new Avatar image, ain't the Webmaster keen!

Our experience with these craft style paints is they don't stay on the mini.

Oh yuk I can see why you don't like them!

Personally I never had any problems with those paints even with the sometime rough handling my minis get by other players. Maybe it's the way I use the paints, maybe I'm just lucky... or maybe it's the fact that screwing with the DM's paint jobs can be a health hazard to one's favorite character. :;):

I think I'll be extra careful with those paints next time I use them though. Thanks for the warning!

my favorite paints were the ral partha. all have dried up since then so i find myself using many brands. i like the earthy reality based tones in the reaper paints. i have quite a few GW paints. thier washes and inks are very useful. the metallics are nice too. but i dont care for thier color schemes too much. i often have to mix gw paints to take the red/yellow out.

I exclusively use Vallejo paint now; I've got more than 130 colours now, and plan to get the whole assortment of 220.

I hate the new Citadel paints, and still have many of my old flip-top Citadels, but I haven't touched them in more than a year, so I'll be disposing with them.

I've bought a few Reaper colours and have not been impressed. The Fire Glow metallic paint did not cover well, the greys I bought (Granite? And one other) were grainy and gummy, and I don't like the lids; the mouth is too wide and there's no reservoir in the lid (as there is in Citadel and Partha).

Sorry, Reaper -- don't like your paints, love your miniatures.