Sign in to follow this  
Rastl

Slotta Bases

I decided to use the slotta bases that came with some figures, since they're just cannon fodder anyway. How do you folks adhere the figures into the slots?

I don't have green stuff and there is enough space between the figure and the edges of the slot to require some kind of filler.

TIA

Usually, I snip the sprues off and don't put the figure into the slot. I'll cover the slot, and put a bunch of resin paste on the base, and once that's dry, I'll pin the feet of the mini to the solid part of the base (not where the slot is).

Put a slight twist in the mini's slot for its base with you tool of choice. Make sure the fit is snug. One the fig is clean use your prefered adhesive. masking tape the open slotta hole.

or

Clip fig's tab so only foot pegs remain. Put masking tape over slotta hole. drill snug holes for foot pegs. Adhere fig after cleaning and/or painting.

The card the Reaper blister minis come on is great for filling in the slot around the mini tab. Just cut a small rectangle (or three, depending on the width of the tab) that is close to the size of the slot, and wedge it in with the tab. A hit with super glue and it should hold fine. Then cover with your basing material.

This makes for a flat base and doesn't leave much room for cobblestones or built-up areas on the base unless you build the base up first, and then you might as well fill the slot in and stick the mini wherever you want. :)

I find that when i flip the mini over, squirt some super glue into the slot while it sits over the tab and then drip some accelerator on it it holds just fine. Super glue accdeleratot is the best thing ever, even better than sliced bread. You can buy it at wal mart and probably any where with a craft section. It comes in this little glass bottle witha plastic dropper. The way it works you just squirt some on whatever your glueing, and the glue dries in about 1.5 seconds, so you never have to hold anything, and minis dont have time to slouch over when you are glueing them into the base.

I've heard of people saying Squadron putty works for filling in the slots on the bases.

I just fill mine in with green stuff when needed after the mini is mounted.

I use the good old fashioned tan testors sandable putty that you can get at any craft store that sells testors model stuff.

I put a piece of tape under the mini covering the underside of the slotta base, fill the slot with putty and scrape it flat. I think put super glue on the tab of the mini and press it down into the putty, scrape away the stuff that comes up out of the tab, and let dry. I usually let the mini's sit a day or two, removing the tape after a day and laying them on their sides so the bottom side can dry.

Sounds a bit excessive and a touch of a bit of work, but I tell you i've never had a mini come off the base after starting this, and it gives them a very very solid foundation.

Mad Pat

I generally bend one end of the tab on the mini to make a tight fit.

Then tack the mini into the base with super glue, then turn it over and fill the gap with either baking soda or microballoons. Add another drop of super glue and you now have a hammer proof bond.

Do this in a well ventilated area. Super glue and micro ballons makes for a rapid reaction.

I invert the slotta base, cut out the slot tabs with an exacto knife, and mount the mini inside the slotta base with super glue. I fill in the area around the mini with green stuff, or with coarse pumice gel, or air-dry clay. If the mini is short - like an old 25mm as opposed to the 28mm-30mm figures you find these days - I don't cut the slot tabs out, I just mount it on top, gluing the mini both to the top of the tabs and to the pumice gel or green stuff.

This way, the mini has a stable base, even when we put it on a die to represent height (for flying or levitating critters or people), or put it on a terrain piece. They also take up a slightly smaller footprint, which is handy when I need to put them on stairs or tables or whatever, which are often (when in scale) too small to support a slotta-base without tipping the mini over.

I've heard of people saying Squadron putty works for filling in the slots on the bases.

I just fill mine in with green stuff when needed after the mini is mounted.

Squadron putty works ok for me. I have also used regular DAP spackle for filling slotta bases. Greenstuff is too precious and expensive IMHO for simple hole filling duty. I will use it to make cobblestones and such.

I use a combination of GS and either superglue or plastic glue. I line the tab on the mini with glue, stick it in, let that dry, then fill the gaps in the sides with GS.