Gap filling with green stuff.

I started experimenting with green stuff to fill gaps in a mini today, Verocithrax to be exact. I've used it so far only to fill the slots on a few Warlord bases and had no trouble with that. I think I just used fingers for that. But when I try to use a sculpting tool to push it into gaps on the mini it just wants to stick to the tool. I had a lot of trouble getting it to stay put. Only about half of what I put stayed, and I had stuff to do so I said heck with it I'll again try later.

Are there any tricks to this I might want to know?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sandra Garrity gave me a lesson on this.

Before you glue the pieces together, get a thin roll of GS and put it around the edges of one side, press the two piece together and hold firmly (some of the GS will sqeeze out). Allow to cure for a few minutes, remove the excess and rebuild as needed (she licks her tools a lot, but be careful that you don't cut your tongue), then allow to cure a little more before sculpting it into being seamless (matching for fur, armor, scales, etc).

spit does seem to work the best for keeping the GS from sticking to the tools (after taking Sandra's and Julie's classes at ReaperCon, I have converted to spit-sculpting).

An alternative is Vick's Vap-o-rub. it works well also.

With vaseline or similar, you will need to wash off the pieces to remove the residue before either adding more GS or priming, otherwise it won't stick to the figure.

Sandra Garrity gave me a lesson on this.

Before you glue the pieces together, get a thin roll of GS and put it around the edges of one side, press the two piece together and hold firmly (some of the GS will sqeeze out). Allow to cure for a few minutes, remove the excess and rebuild as needed (she licks her tools a lot, but be careful that you don't cut your tongue), then allow to cure a little more before sculpting it into being seamless (matching for fur, armor, scales, etc).

Did she have any advice for if the mini's already assembled?

No, I didn't ask that question. :unsure:::(:

The info above is good, vaseline or saliva to keep the GS from sticking to your tools.

There was also a forum she said to go to that I can't recall the name of (but I'm sure someone around here will) where a lot of the sculptors post.

Geeez!, ::P:

Just use water, fer Bob's sake!

Keep a water bowl near your worktable (the one you use to clean your brushes will do, even with all the stuff floating in it). Mix your putty, allow it to cure a bit (you can use the time to go and wash the mini with soap and water), and moisten your sculpting tool before starting to apply the stuff onto a gap.

There was also a forum she said to go to that I can't recall the name of (but I'm sure someone around here will) where a lot of the sculptors post.

I've posted the link once in another thread but I'll post it again. I'm assuming this is what she meant:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/1listSculpting/

Sandra Garrity doesn't show up all that often but Bobby Jackson and Gael Goumon are reasonably frequent as are quite a few others.

I'm also a "spitter" when it comes to sculpting ^_^.

I'm wondering though. As a diver I'm used to spitting in my mask before every dive to prevent it from hazing. Now there is a sort of "artificial spit" that serves the same purpose for the squeamish divers presumably ::P: .

I wonder if that fluid could also be used for sculpting - even though it's made for a completely different purpose?

Edit: Aryanun. I checked your profile and excuse me for asking but would I be completely wrong if I assumed that you have a certain interest in Egypt ? :poke:

Would that be ancient Egypt or possibly modern day Egypt? The country DOES have a most fascinating modern political history to.

Edit: Aryanun. I checked your profile and excuse me for asking but would I be completely wrong if I assumed that you have a certain interest in Egypt ? :poke:

Would that be ancient Egypt or possibly modern day Egypt? The country DOES have a most fascinating modern political history to.

What could have possibly given you a clue? :huh:

Ancient Egypt. :wub:

I actually despise politics. <_<