Gap filling with green stuff.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Geeez!, ::P:

Just use water, fer Bob's sake!

It's true. Why lick your tools when water will work just as well?

Actually, water doesn't work quite as well as spit... different physical properties and what not...

water doesn't adhere evenly to the surface of the sculpting tool, it stays as little droplets

I've heard that a few skilled sculptors use water to good effect. I'm not that skilled. It's harder.

Vaseline is probably the easiest (though you have the cleaning problem)

after that spit or sweat (yes I've heard that being used, just wiping the tool along ones forhead while sculpting)

After that water.

But I guess if you start out with water you'll get faster used to it.

I use chapstick instead of vaseline. I have a little tube of it on my desk and dip my tools in the tube and smooth it down with my fingers, which not only lubes the tool but my hands as well, preventing my fingertips from sticking. I use my fingers alot when sculpting, helps to have the GS not sticking to them too much. ^_^

I use chapstick instead of vaseline. I have a little tube of it on my desk and dip my tools in the tube and smooth it down with my fingers, which not only lubes the tool but my hands as well, preventing my fingertips from sticking. I use my fingers alot when sculpting, helps to have the GS not sticking to them too much. ^_^

Y'know, the chapstick thing would make sense. I know from my line of work that something that looks a whole lot like chapstick is used to lubricate drill bits and saw blades. And if it'll stand up to cutting metal I'm sure it'll stay on after rubbing on a little green stuff.

And I've also had time to try the spit thing too. works great. Although I found myself having to lick the tool, my fingers, and all kinds of things to get the GS to stick to the mini and not the tool and me. But hey, it works.

Just a word of warning:

Some sculptors advise strongly aginst licking your tools. Epoxy materials ARE after all slightly toxic. Personally I think the amounts are so very small it shouldn't matter but it's good to know anyway.

But I guess if you start out with water you'll get faster used to it.

I guess so. I've only used water, and it works perfectly well for me. You just have to dip the tools often and dip the greenstuff often. But it's free and it doesn't involve sticking sharp tools near my tongue.

So maybe saliva is "better" but it has downsides water does not...and it still gets me results.

I wonder...if you sculpted yourself some sculpting tool out of Polystyrene...you know, the kind of stuff that your green stuff wants to stick to everything else BUT, if you could have some tools that would be superior to metal tools.

Just a thought. They could be carved from plastic sprues and the tips could just be filed to the appropriate shape and size. :rock:

I wonder...if you sculpted yourself some sculpting tool out of Polystyrene...you know, the kind of stuff that your green stuff wants to stick to everything else BUT, if you could have some tools that would be superior to metal tools.

Just a thought.  They could be carved from plastic sprues and the tips could just be filed to the appropriate shape and size.  :rock:

Seems simple enough to just give it a try. Trying is allways the best when in doubt ::):

I had problems with milliput. I used to be able to peel the skin of my fingers after a while working with it. So I quit using that particular clay.

Some news from 1list sculpting:

* The sprue thing has been tried and seems to work fine - but you get tools that break pretty easily.

* Some of the professional sculptors advise against water since it does not evaporate and can get caught between layers of green stuff thus creating airbubbles that will possibly cause these parts of the mini to collapse during high pressure casting.

When I use greenstuff, I put a bit of canola oil (I think any will do, but that is what I have on hand) in a cup on my work table. That way I have it for my fingers and tools as needed.

I also have found a really great new tool for getting the surface of greenstuff nice and smooth. Color Shapers are marketed as a type of paintbrush, but they are great for greenstuff. It doesn't sitck to the rubber tip so it's much easier to move the greenstuff around. I used it for filling little air holes in the surface of some minis and re-sculpting details that were mangled by mold lines and really liked the results I got.

There is a slightly harder alternative from the same company called "clay shapers". It's basically the same principle though.

poor mans alternative is to take and ordinary piece of erasor and just file it to the required shape. Works just as fine though only for a limited period whereas the colourshapers and clayshapers last for ever.