Highland Moss & Historicals

This would make just as much sense to post it under historicals - but it's probably more fit here -

ANYWAYS - I just got my Highland Moss triad and Highland Moss is really really close to vallejo's "German Uniform" green - which is good for um... german uniforms (particularly WWII)

I'm going to test the paints out on an American Civil War union soldier later this week - I think there are two good triads for the shell jacket and pants.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I know that some of the upcoming triads are going to be military colors... just don't know if they'll have military color names....

I suppose I should get with my buddies and do an MSP to military color chart/guide...

hrm...

Vallejo's SS German Camo Green is one of my major 'workhorse' paints. I use it from everything from bases to tinting fleshtones to you name it. Great dark greyish green/olive color, never once used it to paint a uniform with though ironically.

• Reaper User
I know that some of the upcoming triads are going to be military colors... just don't know if they'll have military color names....

I suppose I should get with my buddies and do an MSP to military color chart/guide...

hrm...

Michael, I was going to work on this, but if you can, please do! Also, I want to make an equivalency chart using the U.S. Federal Standard for military hues, but I need wet samples of historicals colors; can you help me, Obi-Wan? You are my only hope...being utterly hopeless and afloat in a realm of historical hues as I am. ::D:

Also, Saintrigger--thanks for letting me know that those colors are close! If you discover any more close hits please do let me know. ::):

--Anne

• Reaper User

Websites are all well and good, but unfortunately they don't help me one iota. ::(: Neither do the little brochures with the paint chips. Heck, I troubleshoot the bejeebus out of our MSP charts in the Casketworks and they *still* don't print true to the actual colors; I *know* that Vallejo's aren't worth the paper they're printed on, because I've compared the paint to the chip in several cases. It's too printer-dependent, unfortunately. What I really need are actual paint samples, so it will eventually fall to me to acquire them. I was just saying that if Michael, who I know paints historicals, could help me out by bringing some samples some time when he stops by Reaper, that would help me tremendously. ::):

The Urban Fredricksson charts don't even have color samples - What they provide are equivalencies between various brands of model paints and how they relate to the FS number system. (There are links from the chart to samles of the various FS colors, incuding a warning that the color on your monitor is not necessarily the real color).

So, once you have paint samples, even if they don't include FS number information, you can check and see if there it is an FS equivalent, or vice-versa.

(or in my case, if the model kit lists Gunze Sangyo colors, I can figure out what Tamiya and MM Acrylics I need)

Here is the urban chart with a larger cross section of comparable colors - including the vallejos

http://www.jpsmodell.de/dc/querfs_e.htm

The little bit about % of white to add for various scale to get the right color effect is nice too.

Yup, it's a nice reference to say "Ok, I need Field Green - I know the store near me carries Polly-S paints - what is the comperable color, and what would it be as a vallejo paint?"

Edit: The vallejo chart was a guide so if someone says "Gosh, I need a color that looks like Luftwaffe green, or Russian Uniform" - you have an ballpark idea of a color family.

Yah Otter... that's a great website!

There's a hobby shop within an hour driving or so that has pollyS, Tamiya, Vallejo, Reaper, Testors... and I'm pretty sure that alot of my buddies have some of everything... I anticipate that I'm going to be getting lots and lots of swatches so we can

ID what would need to be mixed to make things like:

Rotbraun (Probably our MSP rust, eh?)

Light Aircraft Grey (Maybe something out of the bone triad)

I know Reaper wants to align as many MSP's to historical as possible... but I don't know if it'll be via a mixing chart or if the line will expand all the way out to cover all the popular/common historical colors (my vote is expand the line

::D: )

Okee!!!

• Reaper User

Line expansion is in the future; we'll be taking on some of the more popular historicals hues and expanding 'em into triads. For those of you who don't give a fig about historicals, this will mean expanding into olives, blue-greys, greys, khakis, and browns. ::):

--Anne