healing before combat

Here is my puzzle of the day

A krung beast is surrounded by 5 death riders. The Beast is on his 4th damage track (thats the next to last one). T'kay bandages him, and on the next card he is attacked again by the cavalry. Does the beast use his third track defense (the healed one) or does he use his fourth track defense because all actions happen simultaneously.

Similar situation. A captain and a cleric are in the same troop. The captain has taken 1 wound. On their turn they bot h move, and then the cleric bandages the captain, and the captain attacks something. Does the captain use his fully healed statistics because he has been bandaged, or does the bandage happen simultaneously with the attack, meaning that the captain actually makes the attack with his wounded stats, and the bandage doesn't finish healing him until about the same time he finishes his attack.

Why do spells have to be so confusing?

Why do I have to type so much to ask such a simple question?

What is the meaning of Life?

Would there be a Food Network without Emeril?

Which came first the chicken or the biscuit?

:wacko:

Now that I think about it there wouldn't be much point to chicken without the biscuits would there

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Spells and melee don't happen simultaneously. All melee attacks do. All ranged attacks do. and all spells do. You choose which order all this stuff happens in. So if your cleric healers your fighter then the fighter attacks, he uses his new healed track line. If the Kung beast is wounded, then you heal him, all attacks on him or by him are at the new stat line. it's like making a tough check, if you pass before you do melee the model can charge in and fight. The way the rules read, only all of a certain type of action happen simultaneously.

That's why you can move some guys, do missle, move some more and then do melee and then do spells maybe after you do some more moving depending on what each individual model has done.

Matt

You use the healed damage track.

All actions of the same TYPE take place at the same time. All melee is resolved together, all spells, and all ranged attacks.

A cleric can cast spells before the ranged or melee actions are resolved. All the effects the spell creates Happen.

Examples:

If you cast a bandage and succeed on a grunt, he does not have to make his tough check anymore. He uses his restored damage.

If you cast Fire storm, the models hit die and you can now move in your other troops(past the dead units)

If you Cure the krung beast in your example he immidiatly raises two damage tracks. So when the enemy attacks him, he has a higher DV, and on his Defensive strikes his Mav is higher.

I recommend using the Index, it's very helpful for finding what you need.

So we know exactly what you are talking about and don't waste time saying something you already know.

Yes.

The Velociraptor

All Combat Actions of the same type happen together, and get resolved before the next Action type is begun. So you cast Bandage during the Cast Spells action, your guy is healed, then it uses its healed track during Close Combat. If you wanted to cast Bandage on your mage and have him cast Fireball, the mage would use the lower damage track because both spells are cast before all the results are resolved.

I haven't been playing this quite correctly until recently, and it's going to change my game somewhat. Frex, hit the big guy with a spell, which will knock him down a track (to a lower DV) and then hit him with arrows.

PS

I didn't realize that damage was instantaneous in RAGE. Doesn't it all take effect at the end of the activation?

I realize that CAV != RAGE, but CAV was the original game w/DT's. All models used their DT from the beginning of their activation against all attacks that turn, regardless of the type, just to prevent cheese like this. So who let the cheese back in? :huh:

I recommend using the Index, it's very helpful for finding what you need.

So we know exactly what you are talking about and don't waste time saying something you already know.

That would be the index in the 2nd Printing? :poke:

I didn't realize that damage was instantaneous in RAGE. Doesn't it all take effect at the end of the activation?

Step "g" of "How to resolve close combat" specifies "All damage takes effect". Same for step "f" of Ranged and step "d" of Magic. Relevant sections are on pages 62-65.

I realize that CAV != RAGE, but CAV was the original game w/DT's.  All models used their DT from the beginning of their activation against all attacks that turn, regardless of the type, just to prevent cheese like this.  So who let the cheese back in? :huh:

I personally don't see this as cheese. I see it as a game accelerator. Warlord is meant to play as a fast and deadly game. Plus, I think it adds to tactical thinking while building your army - planning out how to take down your opponents big guys by having a diverse array of attacks in each troop. :B):

To use the starting DT for the entire turn would only slow the game down. ^_^

Sorry, turn was the wrong word there. The models (both active and targetted) resolved actions using the DT that they were on at the beginning of their activation, regardless of how much damage they took or repaired. Damage was applied at the end of the section's (troop's) activation phase. So if your previously undamaged model took 2 pts of damage from direct fire attacks, you still got to use your 0 DT stats defending against the indirect attack from the same group. All of the attacks were considered to be simultaneous, which they obviously aren't in Warlord.

The way I see it now, is that while a turn is supposed to represent a limited amount of time, there's evidentally enough of it in Warlord that a mage can cast his spell, then fighters can run into combat and whack a couple of people and the archers can just stand around and pick off any survivors who've had their damage significantly reduced. Of course depending on your target you can just switch it up from turn to turn.

I guess the few times I'm played I've done this without even realizing it. :unsure: