I would see the beast as a mobile clean up crew. With first strike and fly it can move in quick and take out soldiers engaged with other friendly troops or maybe finish off an elite or leader. Its down fall is definitely the DV 7. And remember, you always get a card in your deck for the solo to help with initiative.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Since I have a few spare moments I thought I'd take the conversation from a different angle. Right now, I'm reading about Hannibal (some more). He initially had an army that was just as well trained and disciplined as the Roman army. Over the years, the Romans learned things and Hannibal's troop quality got worse... He still had the capability to crunch the Romans up, even with green troops that ate more than they were purportedly worth.

From a game system perspective, any army that limits it's scope to fewer troop types will be less versatile than those that use more troop types. Yes, the former army will have one or two things it does great, but all else will probably be weak... Me, I vote for versatility... especially if you are interested in playing campaigns:

So, it really depends on where you are going with your gaming: Many one-off battles may be better suited to focused armies... Campaigns will probably have situations that the less popular troops shine in... and the popular ones struggle...

Anyway... I'll be trying the Devourer out because I'm pretty sure that some folks are understimating it based solely on point comparisons... To me, it's the stuff external to the game system that will probably show the value of the Devourer...

Rgds,

I just don't see the Devourer as capable of contributing anything to the combat.

Also, for all you Darkspawn players out there, at what point cost would you regularily include this model in your army? Woud he join your group if he was only 30 points?

I would use him under the following conditions:

1) He was a Grunt

2) He cost less than 5 points

3) He had Mob

4) I had a Leader model with Mob/10.

Also, for all you Darkspawn players out there, at what point cost would you regularily include this model in your army? Woud he join your group if he was only 30 points?

I would include him for about 40, or increase his MAV(3 maybe) so it balances with his EXTREMELY low survivability.

I am hoping to try him out this weekend.

Played a game this past weekend and I just couldn't field him. I was trying to think of ways to put him in but I couldn't do it. In comparison to the Soul Tender, there is no reason to put him on the board.

I can think of ways to use the ST, blocking LOS, Horrid takes away move actions from units, decent Mav, he is extremely useful and 20 points cheaper.

I still plan on forcing myself to use the beaked brain but it's going to take some will power. I must be strong :)