Do troops have to have leaders?

Hi.

I'm new to the game, and these might be stupid questions, but here goes. As above, do troops have to have leaders? If not, how do you determine max and min troop size? Do leaders have to have troops? Can they run around by themselves? Finally, do elites have to be attached to leaders? This is probably all covered in the book, but my new-baby-addled brain can't figure it out. Thanks.

Andrew

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, a troop must have a leader.

A troop consists of a Leader, Elites(if the leader can handle them), and grunts.

On a leaders stat card it will show what his troop can contain under "Troop". It will look like "4-12/3" or "3-10/0"

The #-# is how many units are allowed in the troop. 4-12 means at least 4, but no more than 12. Every model counts towards the total, including the leader and any elites.

The /# is how many elites a leader can have. /3 means he can have at most 3 elites, and /0 means he can't have any.

If you want a model to start all by itself then take a Solo or Monster. They cannot be placed in a troop and activate on their own card.

If you want to check out some cards to see what I'm talking about there is some cool stuff at: www.warlordhq.com

And the rules for troop creation is in the very begining of the rules section in the book, if I remember correctly. It is confusing at first but once you get it it's cake.

Hope I helped, if not feel free to keep asking away.

Are you sure, I was under the impression you could start them out of coheasion with the penalty if you wanted.
And a correct impression it was:
"No Model is required to be in Cohesion."

but you still have to have a leader... volunteer cohension just they mean your troops are not forced to remain within yer leader's sphere of influence.

Since I'm in quote mode:

A Fighting Company is mad up of smaller units called Troops...

A Troop is one of two things:

* A Group of Soldiers and Elite Models under the command of a single Leader Model

* A single Solo Model

Are you sure, I was under the impression you could start them out of coheasion with the penalty if you wanted.

Can you place the models of your troop wherever you want in the deployment zone during the setup phase even if you leave your leader's sphere of influence for cohesion? Yes.

Can you nominate an elite to act by itself for the entire game? No.

Was that what you were asking mchish?

Elites have to be placed in a leader's elite slot, and they have to be activated along with that leader's troop. Cohesion is voluntary, but it doesn't matter how many leaders there are on the table, as cohesion only applies to your parent troop.

So to answer his question, yes, elites have to be attached to a leader's troop, as that's the troop they become activated on. They don't have to remain in cohesion, just like no model is required to be in cohesion with the leader model of its troop, but they have to be part of a certain troop and cannot unattach themselves (except if the original leader dies and they are regrouped into another troop).

Attached to a Troop, as GE said, is more a function of "how do I determine which card activates this Elite?" than "Where does this Elite stand/move/shoot?".

Solos are "Unattached" in the method you desire - they have their own card, and are never out of cohesion, because they cohesion only to themselves and never anything else. Elites (and soldiers - grunts or adepts) can Move around out of cohesion, but they do belong to a troop, and take their actions when that troop does.